Join the Madness

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

How I met my man - with illustrations!


WARNING
Please do not eat or drink 
beyond this sentence.
My artistic capabilities could prove
hazardous to your health.
You have been warned.


The charming Kate Kaynak (Disgrunted Bear) mentioned the other day she met her husband by striking up a conversation with him in an airport in Turkey.  I love hearing how couples met, and I think it would make a great blogfest but I'm too lazy to organize one so I'll just post my story and invite you to put yours in the comments if you want. K?

************************************************

November 26, 1991
Another dull work-day.  The building was built around a courtyard so I could look into the offices (all glass fronts) on the other side.


(click to enlarge)



Things were slow, and in the five weeks I'd been there I'd already reorganized everything I could think of, so I spent an inordinate amount of time staring out the window into the other offices.

Directly across from me was the broadcasting / travel school where my friend Karen worked.  She had told me about the job opening, and I was hired on my birthday. Students would often come up front and talk with her, and one in particular caught my eye.



I'd noticed him before.  He spent his mornings either in the radio booth or up front shootin the breeze with Karen.

On this fine day in November, I called Karen as soon as he went back to the booth.  Our conversation went like this:

"Hey. It's me. Who was that?"

"Who was who?"

"Who were you just talking to?"

"Jeff?"

"Is that his name?"

"Yeah, why?"

"He's got a nice ass."

*click*

And he did, friends.  He totally did! He'd just gotten out of the Marine Corps a few months before.  Need I say more?



She laughed...more from the fact that I'd called her up just to share my opinion than because she would even dare to disagree with me. 


Karen, of course, told Jeff what I had said almost as soon as we hung up.  I should have expected it, but in truth, I was just acting on impulse, and severe boredom. I about died of embarrassment when he walked in a few minutes later.



I don't remember our initial conversation except it was a little awkward, what with my face burning up all the oxygen in the room.  He asked for my phone number and I thought he would call me that night, but nope.  No such luck.  The next day, (Wednesday) he came back and asked me out for Friday.


YAY!


I forgave him for not calling.


K-Bear saw my illustrations and decided to draw her own version.  So now, for poops and giggles, here is her version:




She tells me that is NOT a bug flying off her daddy's head....



Don't you think we look like green M&M's here or maybe lima beans?




************************************************ 

So, care to share?  How did you meet your man/woman?  

Or, if you'd rather, how did your characters meet?

26 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

Wow. Those were some great illustrations. My husband would frame the golden butt one and put it in his office.
Met my husband in seventh grade choir. I know. Gag.
BUT, we didn't date until after high school, unless you could the few months we dated in tenth grade before HE BROKE UP WITH ME.
I forgave him.
But I still like to bring it up.
Once in a while.

Tahereh said...

hahaha awwww SO CUTEEE

Nicole MacDonald said...

hehehe I thought the holy glow was he'd peed his pants *lol* and cute story!! Mmmm love a guy in uniform... ;p
I met mine at a pub called 'The Grumpy Mole'....nuff said

http://damselinadirtydress.blogspot.com

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Aww. I don't think you look like green M&M's at all. :)

aspiring_x said...

EPIC renderings!!! (loved the pee/glow bottom!) :) there's nothing like a great illustration! such a great story!
i met my hubby while we were both working in the cafeteria in college... he had (and still has :) ) the most beautiful eyes i'd ever seen. :)

The Alliterative Allomorph said...

hahaha! "I love you even if ou can't draw for shit" Classic! :o)

Candyland said...

HAHAHA!!! Great love story and
I love the glowing butt, lol.

Jen said...

You have too much time on your hands, but I loved this story!!!! I loved the 'Golden Bum' you have me laughing hysterically! Thank goodness I stopped drinking (I always appreciate the warnings).

Vicki you rock!!! I met my husband in the office setting as well. I was in training and was told to sit with someone (I requested the person NOT to be male) then again no one listens and I was sat with my husband. We spoke very little, our first real conversation was in the letter format. We still write love notes... oh how I love him.

Jaydee Morgan said...

I thinking you're selling yourself short - I think you should frame those and showcase them in your house for all to see how you met :)

Bish Denham said...

LOL! I think Jaydee is right.

My story is too long. I'll have to blog about it some day...maybe Valentine's Day.

Dawn said...

Pure awesome! I also agree with Jaydee - and what a cool concept.

My story? Kind of long but here's the shortened version. Jeff and I dated when we were 14, torn apart by "the system" (he was in foster care) and stayed apart for 21 years. Reconnected on Facebook after he searched for me for 20 years (ish) and despite living 1000 km apart, we happened to be 10 minutes apart when his name popped up in my inbox. We met - and were married a year later. We celebrated our first anniversary in August :-)

Jemi Fraser said...

Love the drawings and the story! Awesome - sometimes things are just meant to be! :)

Meghan Schuessler said...

lol great story, and such artistic talent! ;-)

KarenG said...

I love how you illustrated your love story! So cute! I met my husband through his roommate who I was dating at the time.

Talli Roland said...

AW! I love the glow coming from his derriere! Must be a good one! :)

I met my husband online! Yup, it's true. Some good can come from the Internet.

Janet Johnson said...

Love, love love the illustrations!

I met my husband in French class. French isn't the language of love for nothing!

Lenny said...

hi miss vicki! i like neat love stories and yours is real nice. those picture drawings are sooo cool and fun to look at. i got laughing about that golden bum. ha ha. this was a fun story to read.
...hugs from lenny

Ed Pilolla said...

what a great piece. loads of fun. i love your illustrations.

Talei said...

Oh I agree, thats a great idea for a blogfest! ;)

I met my significant other at mutual friends weddings *sigh* its a story that warrants a good bottle of vino. ;)

Love your pictures btw!

Wendy Ramer said...

Love your drawings...really.

Met my hubby through a mutual friend who is now a mutual pariah (long story probably worthier to tell than how I met hubby), so I don't wanna go there.

Prefer to mention how I met The One That Got Away (aka TOTGA): I had just arrived in Spain (to live) about one week earlier when I was sitting with some new friends in a cafe. TOTGA came in and planted himself at the bar to smoke a cigarette. Someone in my group knew him and asked him to come sit with us. I thought TOTGA was adorable and lifted up my forkful of paella in offering.

Yes, I offered a strange man food off my own fork.

TOTGA seemed perplexed by this foreigner so wiilling to share germs and he came over and squeezed in next to me.

It would take another full year for our acquaintanceship to turn into mad love. And yes, it was mad... which is why it didn't last, I guess.

Kristi said...

This was seriously sweet. I loved it. My favorite post of yours to date!! AND that's saying something. The artwork totally makes it!

Hannah Kincade said...

We met at my old job and then after talking realized we went to high school together. I knew his friends. He knew my friends. He had a crush on my best friend in fact but we don't remember each other.

That's the short version. :D

I love your story! And yes, I did almost shoot gluten free brownies all over my keyboard. Thank you for the warning even if it went unheeded.

Carolyn V. said...

Hee hee. I loved it! The golden bum. LOL.

I met my hubby in my HS math class. He is so cute. =)

Julie Musil said...

I LOVE this story and LOVE your drawings. Especially the light emanating from hubby's behind. By the way, can you really bounce quarters off that thing? Just something I've heard about Marines! Is your hubby mortified that you've put him out there for us to "moon" over?

My squeeze and I met when he introduced himself to me in the snack line in JUNIOR HIGH! Yes, I was in 7th and he was in 9th. We didn't date until I was in 10th and he was a senior. Yep, since 1982.

We're lucky girls, huh?

Nicole Zoltack said...

I love this post!

I met my husband the first day of classes freshman year of college.

notesfromnadir said...

I really liked reading how you met your husband. It's unique, & the drawings are charming! :)