Join the Madness

Friday, September 17, 2010

Good Night!


I went to an open house after work last night.  I'd been invited before, but it either fell on a bad night or I made up a reason not to go. But this year, a friend (and former coworker--the one who saved me HERE) had started working there so I agreed to go to see her. 

It's not that I don't like parties.  I do.  I'm having one in a couple weeks, actually.  No, the problem is I'm not the most social person in the world and the idea of being in a room full of strangers freaks the ever-loving $hit out of me.  

Really.  I am not exaggerating.

But I sucked it up. And by mid afternoon, I was actually looking forward to it.  I hadn't seen her for awhile and she's such a doll.  Always has such a positive outlook and I don't think I've heard her say a bad thing about anyone.  So I went. 

And do you know what?

I had FUN.  

And you know what else?

I didn't have anything to drink!  (100% SOBER FUN! Imagine that)

Another friend (and former coworker) was there.  It would be THIS particular coworker, if you want to be specific.

Anyhow, I met some very nice people, and did NOT make a fool of myself (near as I can tell anyhow).  And my darling friend introduced me as a writer. That was a first for me and it was awesome!  And while I am nowhere near a publishing whiz, when talking to non-writers, I SOUND like one.  Hahahaha.

And when the inevitable question came, "what are you writing?"  I managed a somewhat succinct summary and everyone laughed...in a good way,of course.  

Final verdict:  A whole lotta fun!

Reminder:  Still have a couple days to enter the Big City Advice Contest.  You all are being so NICE!  I kinda expected some bizarre and wacky tips in there...probably because I AM bizarre and wacky. Anyhow, there's  $20 on the line if your piece of advice is chosen.

Then you can add a note on THIS post to win my copy of Enzo's Mamma (guilt offering, LOL)

Sooooo...plans for the weekend? 

19 comments:

Rayna M. Iyer said...

Now if that doesn't sound exactly like me, nothing does!
Hello, Writer.

Jolene Perry said...

Cool to be introduced as a writer. Just think. One day we'll be like, oh yeah, this one was published last year and I'm (insert eye roll) waiting for my editor to get back to me...
happy times are coming.

Damyanti said...

It is a thrill to be introduced as a writer, isn't it ? :)

Am off to a book launch tomo, an anthology in which one of my stories is featured, and they would introduce me as a writer, make my day! ;)

Alexandra Crocodile said...

I'm glad you had fun - the best times are those when you turn up with all kinds of preconcieved ideas and they all fall to pieces!

Nicole MacDonald said...

permanently sober chic here ;p and I thought open homes were when you want to sell you house?? Is it something different in America? Cause being invited to an open home in NZ would just be weird - unless you're interested in buying the house...

so how far of track am I?

http://damselinadirtydress.blogspot.com

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm not a party person either. Glad you had fun after all!

Bish Denham said...

Yeah, I've got a couple of friends who introduce me as a writer. I always feel thrilled and terrified at the same time.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, that's so nice you had such a good time!

Plans for the weekend? I'm heading to New Hope PA on a bus trip with my mom. I hope to do a whole lot of shopping. :)

Clarissa Draper said...

People can have fun at parties with lots of people? *woo ahhs* Well, I'm glad you did. Plans? Hopefully get some writing done and going to my friend's house for dinner. Enjoy your weekend.

CD

Carol Kilgore said...

Sounds like a win-win for you, Ms. Writer :)

aspiring_x said...

i'm glad it turned out well for you! i hate crowds, so i understand the party nerves! i'm glad everyone liked your WIP summary- but really PG is a cool idea, and they would have needed smacked uptop the head if they didn't like it! :)

Jaydee Morgan said...

Glad you had fun - and the introduction as a writer sounds so good :)

My plans for the weekend involve surviving this flu and getting my house back into some sense of order.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

You and I sound look much alike, except you have a way cooler voice. :D

Julie Dao said...

I am exactly the same way! I'll have fun once in a while but the idea of being a crowded room with tons of people is not my idea of the perfect night. I revel in quiet and solitude :)

Jackee said...

Glad you had fun! I'm that way--despise parties with lots of strangers. Maybe that's why we all choose to blog??

Have a great weekend... I'm going on a date with my husband who is actually home for awhile.

LTM said...

that happens to me a lot--don't want to go to some function/end up having a BLAST... weekend plans: getting ready to be in Chicago! :D

Clara said...

That seems to have been a blast, Im so glad u were introduced as a writer! Way to go my friend!

DL Hammons said...

Sober fun? Such a thing really exists? You're making that up....right?

Sondrae Bennett said...

What a thrill it would be to be introduced to someone as a writer!