Join the Madness

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Reading Between the Lines


Ladies and gents, I'd like to introduce you to a couple of guys who are splendiferous writers.

If you don't wanna click over basically it's an inane story about 30 years of research to find the fastest way to solve the Rubik's Cube.

How do I know these guys can write?  Because at some point they had to prepare a proposal to ask for the funding to do this research, and they were so good they talked some poor saps into forking over their cash for thirty years.

Now that's a proposal!

Because who, my friends, in their right mind would part with their hard-earned cash so a couple of guys could sit around and calculate the fewest number of moves to solve the cube?

Seriously, who would fund this?

What kind of benefits did they promise as a result of the study?  How would this study possibly help mankind?

Obviously they managed to talk someone into taking a chance on them 30 years ago.  But at some point (I'm guessing every five years) they would have to reapply for additional funding.  What would those progress reports have looked like? "We made great progress.  In the last five years we tested 5,000,000 possible solutions." 

What about these guys' wives?  Women, how would you handle the fact that your highly educated hubby spent his days playing with an old children's toy?  And not for a year or two--THIRTY!  What if this was your dad?  You grew up, moved out, and started your own family before pops solved the riddle.


Seriously?

And then...after thirty years, you determine that the fewest moves you can use to solve the cube is 20.  Greaaaat.  Now what the heck do you do with your life?  Is there a market for this information?  Going to go on tour to demonstrate the moves?  Write a tell-all book? A Lifetime movie? 

Yup, these guys are amazing writers.  That's for sure.

6 comments:

Sandy Shin said...

Hee. Indeed. I'd love to read their proposals -- must have been incredibly persuasive.

notesfromnadir said...

Vicki,
Well, you got me thinking about this now, thanks! :)

I wonder if they actually spent 8 hours per day working on this stuff. Did they take an hour lunch & forget about work as they ate? Were they the kinda guys who took their work home w/ them? Did they dream about Rubik's Cubes & the myriad of ways that it could change?

But, they did have to get people to give 'em $$$ to do this so I guess they were pretty persuasive on paper or screen!

Angela M. said...

My first question would be 'do they freelance?' because I could really use some grant money to stay at home so I can write!

Just another bit to prove my theory that humans are silly creatures. Maybe I should organize a scientific study for this...

Talli Roland said...

I want to see their proposals too! :)

Lenny said...

hi miss vicki! those guys are pretty smart for getting some dumb people to give them lots of money jut to play with that cube. maybe i could get some one to give me zillions of dollars to count how much times my yoyo spins on different tricks. ha ha. ...smiles from lenny

aspiring_x said...

LOL! maybe they could teach lessons on how to write proposals?