Join the Madness

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

From The Great Beyond

I have had weeks of posts lined up and now, sad to say, I've run out of pre-written material.  I've been racking my brain all day, pressure mounting with each passing hour.  WHAT was I going to write about?

And then, I saw Weronika's latest client announcement.  That was it!  I'd entertain you with a tale of terror (hahaha, hardly terrifying).  

My family has had strange things happen as long as I can remember.  It is not an everyday experience, but there have been far too many odd happenings to explain in any rational way.

So...

I lost my mom three years ago this past January.  I was working at a job I no longer loved, but had been hanging in there because I'd been there for 10 years and was scared out of my wits about starting over somewhere else.  After she passed, I gathered my courage and told my boss I wasn't happy and I was going to start looking for another job.

A week or so later, I had a second interview.  The one guy's partner had been out of town during the initial interview, so we scheduled a time for me to meet the partner.

The night before the interview, I went through my closet.  I had read somewhere that women in skirt suits were perceived as more intelligent and more successful than women in pant suits.  Wanting every advantage, I planned to wear a black skirt/cami with this awesome brick red jacket.  

I had three black skirts at that time.  One was too short for an interview.  The second had the hem coming loose, but the third was perfect...didn't even need to be ironed.  I put my entire outfit onto a hanger (that my sister had crocheted around with pink yarn to keep clothes from slipping off).  

The next morning, I went to get dressed and my skirt was GONE.  I went through my closet one item at a time, searched the floor, looked in my dresser drawers, went through the laundry.  It was just GONE.  I was forced to wear pants to my interview.

Two weeks later (about the time I got the job offer),out of the blue my skirt was folded very neatly and sitting in my underwear drawer right on top.  NO WAY had that been there before, and NO WAY could I have missed it as I am obviously in that drawer every single morning.

While it might seem like I'm reaching a bit to blame my mom for the skirt hijacking, this is JUST the sort of thing she would do when alive.  Since then, she's made other things disappear around my house and my sister's. She always gives the stuff back, but never where it SHOULD be.

See?  Told ya, not at all terrifying.  Wanna share any creepy experiences of your own?

19 comments:

aspiring_x said...

eeks!!! still though, a little terrifying! :)

KarenG said...

That's crazy! So was your mom helping or hindering? Did she KNOW you should wear the pants to get the job? Or was she causing mischief? And you got the job anyway? Not knowing your mom, I'm curious! A practical joker, or a helicopter mom?

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

I wish I had stories like that... kind of. ;) It's probably comforting, in a sense, but I think it would scare the beejesus out of me!

Jaydee Morgan said...

I think this is a cool story - especially if it is your mom with a sense of mischief and fun :)

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

My creepy stories are less creepy, more strange. lol. Although a few years ago, not long after my grandmother passed away, I was making a cake with a recipe she used. I started to add the ingredients then I heard her tell me "No, don't add that yet." I was in the house on my own, but it was like she was next to me.
My own cake making guardian angel. :)

Tamara Narayan said...

Once upon a time, when I was eight, I woke up in the middle of the night remembering that I had left the basement door unlocked. So I tiptoed down the stairs without turning on the lights. Our basement was a walk-out, and somehow spooky day and night. As I walked toward the door, our dog Benji started barking outside in the yard. I reached the door and turned the tab. As soon as I let go, the doorknob began to move back and forth. I backed up slowly and, even though I was terrified, I went back to bed.

In my twenties, I had a nightmare about being in my boyfriends apartment during a break-in. The next day I went over to drop something off. I put the item upstairs first and noticed things were a lot messier than usual. I heard a noise in the kitchen and crept downstairs--quite nervous. The back door was open and his kitten was outside crying. I had interrupted an actual break-in and had to call 911.

I like your story. It would be nice to know our loved ones are still around in some form after they pass.

DL Hammons said...

Cue the X-Files music!! :)

Theresa Milstein said...

That is strange! It's nice to think she was with you, keeping an eye on you to make sure you made the right clothing decision to get the job.

Stephen Tremp said...

This has the makings of a guirky novel about a mother daughter relationship, only the mother is in spiritual form and the daughter physical. Crazy things happen as they try to co-exist. This is just how my mind works. I see potential lots everywhere.

Stephen Tremp

Saumya said...

Oh wow; that is extra creepy. I don't think I have anything even remotely close to that!!

Bish Denham said...

I'd say that's cool,particularly if you were close to your mom and she was a jokester. At my sister's house, after a dearly beloved friend died, we kept finding kitchen cabinet doors open even after we took particular care to make sure they were all closed before we went to bed. We decided it was our friend because he used to live with us and rummage around in the kitched. Two years later, it's still going on.

Jolene said...

Some good friends of my parent's lived in Ketchikan, Alaska. If you're not familiar with it. It rains. All the time. The town is built on a mountain next to the water. My mom's friend had 95 stairs leading from her driveway to her front door. I know. BTW - she always had great legs.
At night you'd swear you could hear steps up her steps and her house made some really odd noises. As an eight year old kid, it freaked me out. Their family would just laugh - "It's just George, he's the ghost who lives here, he won't bother anybody." And then they were back to milk and cookies.
I didn't sleep much on those trips.

Lenny said...

hi miss vicki! wow thats pretty strange stuff. for me i sometimes since my mom died hear her call my name and i look up but dont see her but i could feel like she was there for a little and it was nice. i didnt ever hear my dad after he died. one of my brothers said every night for a long time he felt someone sit right down on the end of his bed and just keep sitting there. then one night he said it got up and walked up by him and tried to get inside his body and he restled it off and it never came back again after that. yikes theres ghosts everywhere.
...smiles from lenny

Talli Roland said...

I'm a bit freaked out, I must admit. So maybe you wouldn't have got the job if you wore the skirt?!

Terry Stonecrop said...

I love this story! Yes, I too think you may not have gotten the job in a skirt. Maybe this was the one person who thought women in pants are more intelligent:) Fun post! Tell us more. I love weird stories.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Thanks, Vicki...It's nice to think that the people we love are still watching over us and pop in every once and a while to make sure we are doing the right thing...Sometimes I get a funny warm fuzzy sweater feeling and I know it's my Nanny... :)

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Oh man, that's eerie, and yet kind of cool!! I love that!!

Jackee said...

That is CRAZY! And it couldn't have been anyone else? My mom HAS crazy things like this happen to her all the time. She's one of those types that have a sixth sense, you know....

Have a great week, Vicki, and thanks for sharing! :o)

notesfromnadir said...

That is so sweet of your Mom! She just knew what you needed plus she wants you to know that she's still around & loves being able to do these kinds of things. Obviously your Mom has a great sense of humor! :)