Join the Madness

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fidgeting & Unofficial Hunger Games Poll...


I dropped my oldest off at high school yesterday.  The main road in front of the school is STILL under construction, so there's only one way into the parking lot and don't even get me started on the island the school built in the middle of the main thoroughfare in the parking lot. You've gotta go alllll the way down an aisle and allllll the way up the next to to get around it.  I don't know what they were thinking. It's a major pain in the watusi, but REALLY, I don't wanna talk about traffic or the stinking parking lot.

After I dropped her off and was making my way through the parking lot to the only viable exit, I saw a woman. A very striking woman.  Nice dress, great hair.  Well-accessorized.  Only she was fussing with her hair, fidgeting with her purse and computer bag.  She kept tugging at bra straps and adjusting her dress. She obviously wasn't comfortable with herself at all.

And it was a shame.

A SHAME, I tell you.

She was a beautiful woman.  Well-dressed and I'm assuming intelligent and talented. Yet her constant fidgeting ruined the look. 

And, to turn this into a writing thing (like you KNOW I'm gonna), her fidgeting is your editing.

You GOTTA know when to quit.

We writers are a fussy bunch, we're never 100% happy with anything we write.  We can edit and rearrange and massage and polish until our fingers bleed. But sometimes, my friends, we just gotta know when to quit.

Sometimes there is no perfect.

But there is almost always a GOOD ENOUGH.

So, go ahead and edit.  Revise.  Just be aware that at some point, you gotta knock it off and let it shine all on its own.

That's all I got for for today, folks.

Oh WAIT!!  One more thing...


If you have read any part of the Hunger Games trilogy, please leave a comment letting me know which books 1, 2 and/or 3. (yes I know #3 just came out, but I'm sure some of you pulled an all-nighter). I suspect I'm the only person left in the U.S. who hasn't read it...so I'm asking to find out. ;)

18 comments:

Ted Cross said...

I recently purchased Hunger Games, but I haven't read it yet.

Jen said...

You'll be happy to hear that you aren't the only one who hasn't read it. Ted is doing better than me, I don't even own them yet!

Thanks for the revising advice. I'm going to need for sure since next week I'm really hitting the ground running with it!

Sorry I've been distant from your blog... my invisibility cloak seems to be working quite well these days. Life just gets in the way sometimes doesn't it?

Al said...

You're all too right about being picky. If I followed my natural inclination none of my work would ever see the light of day :-)
Eventually you have to say 'enough already' share it.

aspiring_x said...

ooh! so true, but it's hard to tell when it hits the GOOD ENOUGH!

devoured the hunger games in two nights, i think it was three for catching fire, and am impatiently awaiting my pre-ordered copy of mockingjay to make it's way through the mail... amazon says saturday... must wait until saturday... :(

Bethany Elizabeth said...

I haven't read it yet! But... I'm not in the US, so you may be right. :) I will be soon though, so I'll read it in the next couple weeks. :) So excited!

DL Hammons said...

I'm halfway through Hunger Games and I have to say...so far...I'm not seeing it.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I have not read ANY of Suzanne Collins's books. But I plan to...

Jaydee Morgan said...

You are so right - you need to know when to stop editing and send it out into the world. Over-editing can be just as detrimental as no editing at all.

Susan Fields said...

I've read #1 and #2 and absolutely loved them both. I started on #3, and so far I'm not liking it as much as the others, but I'm hoping that will change as I get more into it.

Sometimes it does seem the editing will never end. I guess when it gets to the point that I'm just changing things around instead of improving them, then I'll be done. But it doesn't feel like I've gotten there yet. :(

Carole Anne Carr said...

Yes, I hate the editing, months and months of it... arghh!!

Meghan Schuessler said...

Read all 3! Got Mockingjay yesterday & finished it in 5 hours. It was awesome :)

Bish Denham said...

Glad know I'm not the only one who has not read these books yet! So many books to read...so little time.

Jolene Perry said...

I'm waiting for reports on book three before I start book one.

Also. Yes, there is such a thing as over-editing.

Ed Pilolla said...

the best copy editor i know says that letting go is an essential part of the process. cutting is important, but if we're not disciplined, we can cut our work until we kill it.
great post.

Raquel Byrnes said...

You are so right. One of my major problems with getting manuscripts finished is the constant tinkering I obsessively do. It seriously adds a good few weeks.

Hope your daughter has a super day today. =)

Edge of Your Seat Romance

L'Aussie said...

I just read a quote yesterday which was like I don't write well but I revise magnificently, which is a bit ha ha but has some truth. It is hard to know when to stop polishing..:)

Stephanie Thornton said...

I thought I was done editing, but then I keep getting more feedback. When an agent tells you to do something, you do it!

I've read Hunger Games & Catching Fire. I pre-ordered Mockingjay, but it's not here yet. Grrr!

Lenny said...

hi miss vicki! i didnt do so much changing in my writing til i got on blogs with you good writers. now im learning lots thats helping me be a better writer.
...smiles from lenny