Join the Madness

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Blog Editing


I don't know about you, but most of my blog posts are written off-the-cuff.  I'll read over for consistency and glaring errors usually the night before it's scheduled to go live, but I don't polish it to a high sheen like I will with my MS.  

Sometimes I feel -- not guilty exactly -- but concerned that I'm putting so much of myself out there that's raw and mostly unedited.

In essence, I'm publishing my first draft every day.

ACK!

Most of us started blogging because we were told to create a web presence.  And if that web presence isn't reflecting our best...should we be worried?  What if an agent were to browse your blog?  Does the thought excite you or fill you with dread?

Before I whip everyone into a frenzy, let me say I think we have WAY more important things to worry about.  

Let's worry about our manuscripts and queries and day jobs and families (not necessarily in that order).

Luckily, expectations for blogs aren't the same as manuscripts.  We can get away with things on our blogs we could NEVER get away with in our books.  

Blogs are more conversational, more casual, more "us" -- and they SHOULD be, if you ask me.  I think they should reflect our personalities and our voice.  

I think of our blogs as a cocktail party.  We float around mingling with one another and making idle chit chat with random guests.   The funny thing about this comparison is that I love blogging, but would freeze up at an actual cocktail party. 

The whole reason I brought this up is sometimes I re-read my old posts and I get the itch to revise them. I see the potential to turn it into something really special. I might do it further down the line when enough time has passed from the initial posting that it'll SEEM fresh and new to the majority of readers, but for now I cringe wishing I'd added X or rephrased Y.  

Your turn:  how much time do you put into creating a post and how much editing do you do?

14 comments:

Sandy Shin said...

I definitely do understand what you mean. Most of my blog posts are first draft materials. Sometimes, I'd be in too much of a hurry to even proof-read it. Often, I'd re-read hours later and find myriads of mistakes that make me blanch.

If an agent ever visits my blog... I'd say I'll feel excited, but terrified as well. What if she's turned off by that one grammatical mistake? Or that tiny typo? It's kind of scary.

aspiring_x said...

i do it off the cuff too! (and ran into trouble today- because i blogged a rumor and then when my hubby told me it was wrong- i had to go back and edit what i put out there! EGADS was that embarassing!!!)
i would TOTALLY freeze up at a cocktail party too!
i don't know how edited blogging should be... ok freaking a bit now...

Ted Cross said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ted Cross said...

You make me look bad! I write mine up in five minutes or so once a theme occurs to me, and then I post it right away usually.

Lenny said...

hi miss vicki! i like your blog cause you just let me see who you are. its like your ok to be in your sweats and t shirt.if you polish it up its like you gotta get all dressed up every day. yikes! who wants to do that. i get here everyday cause i like how you share cool stuff about you just like im sittig there with you. for me mostly i just write how i feel and put it on my blog cause i want you to know me lenny in my shorts and baseball cap.
...hugs from lenny

Bish Denham said...

I write both off the cuff and carefully edit. Depends on my mood.

Jaydee Morgan said...

My posts tend to be written off the cuff as well - I'm still trying to get into the habit of writing some beforehand to schedule but eh... maybe some day.

I like that blogs tend to be more informal and relaxed. I see it as a more fun way to relax and interact with others. I'll leave major editing to the WIPs.

Talli Roland said...

I do a quick read-over and spell-check but I don't agonise over sentence structure like I do in my novels. I agree with you!

DL Hammons said...

I agree with you 100%. I write most of my posts in Word, so its spell-checked and grammar-checked (broadly), but I don't fret sentence structure or stuff like that. Like you say, who has the time? For me its all about the content...not the nuts & bolts!

Carolyn V. said...

I spent way too much time on my post this morning and I wrote mine off the cuff too. But I love connecting. =)

Wendy Ramer said...

I certainly don't edit my posts the way I do an MS. But as a stickler for grammar and spelling, I do my best to put it out there as close to perfect as possible.

Candyland said...

Yeah, I spend too much time editing. I'll notice a missing comma somewhere and go back or the wrong word, or whatever.

Tahereh said...

omg i read and reread and read and reread my blog posts about ten zillion times before they're published. and then i do it a million times more after they're published. im so weird about making sure the formatting and the editing and the phrasing is correct.

sigh.

i think im just weird, period. lol.

Little Ms J said...

I edit a little, but I don't go nuts. It is definitely a rough version of it's best. If I really like the story I will spend a little more time on it.