Join the Madness

Sunday, August 1, 2010

August 1st - Time for Change

Ladies & Gents (but mostly ladies...demographically speaking)

Today is August 1st.  A great time for do overs and fresh starts.  Not as great as January 1st, but good nonetheless.

And I need a fresh start.  A do over.  A new beginning.

Back in January, I set three goals for my year:  

1- I was going to run two 5k races (I did the races but didn't run the whole way...half successful)

2- I was going to write a book (again, half successful)

3- I wanted to be a size 10 by 10-10-10.  This ain't gonna happen.  Not in any healthy way anyhow.  

We had dinner with friends Friday night.  Two of my friends are doing a 5k on my birthday (aforementioned triple 10) and invited me to join them.

Now I've met my 5k goals for the year, but since goal #3 has actually regressed rather than progressed, I agreed.  I have 10 weeks to get back into running shape.

I can do it...

but I'm gonna have to push it.

And FOCUS.

And give something up.

You may guess where I'm heading with this.

I

can't 

do 

it 

all.


You know this.  Because you can't do it all either.

We're all struggling with balance in our lives.  I know I'm not alone in this.

Blogging requires a significant investment of time.

This is not news to you either.

I LOVE blogging. 

I love surfing through your posts. 

I've laughed and cried.  

You've taught and inspired me.  

You are all so wonderful! 

BUT

In order to restore some semblance of balance in my life, I must UNplug unless I've put in my gym time. 

No exceptions.

I'm really good at finding exceptions...so I have to make an across-the-board decision or I'll find the loop holes. 

The plan is to get up early and head to the gym before work so it's DONE for the day but that's when I normally read and comment on all your blogs.  :(

So, yeah.

I've got a bunch of posts pre-written that I'll schedule for posting....I probably have a month or so stocked up.

AND

I have a couple fun contests coming up, so I'll find a way to squeeze those in because I LOVE to give stuff away!

I don't expect to disappear completely, but it might seem like it at times--and for that I apologize.

SNEAK PEEK AT THIS WEEK:  A TWO part Mock Me Monday.  There was so much to the story, I cut it into two bits.  Wednesday I announce who won Minder.  Thursday a special story/thank you.  Friday a brand-spankin new Crackpot Confessional...you'll have to stop by to see what I'm trying to talk my way out of this week...

14 comments:

Little Ms J said...

Good for you! Enjoy your training. There's nothing like crossing the finish line!

Dawn said...

Although I will miss you, I admire so much your recognition of what you need to do to succeed. In addition to my dance stuff, I've JUST signed up for a marathon - in India, no less. I love blogging and my blogging friends...I just need to figure out how to balance life. Sigh. Good luck, my dear. xo

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

You can do this...What a great way to celebrate your birthday! We'll miss you, but blogging can easily take up your whole life. You have to figure out where it fits in to your writing life and your family life...If doing one blog a week is right for you just do that...Lenny (and we all love Lenny) usually does one post a week...People go and read his words cause he's so darn cute! Take a breath and figure out what's best for you. :) HUGS! Sharon

Nithin R S said...

all the best for your resolve. Hope you accomplish your target. :)

Mason Canyon said...

Life does have a way of sneaking into our blogging time. LOL Take the time you need to meet your goal. You'll feel better about things in general (or at least I do when I can finally accomplish something). You'll be missed so you'll have to sneak a minute or two just to let us know how the training is going. Best of luck.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Mary said...

On my way to a 5K now -- daughter's not mine. But I have something to do so I've set a schedule also. Best of everything with your goals.
We do expect pics. okay?

Lenny said...

hi miss vicki! wow im gonna miss you for sure but im really happy youre not gonna disappear forever. that would make me soooo sad. im hooked on you and your blog. :) i know you gotta take care of you so that makes it ok. settin up goals is really good and its real easy to let a bunch of stuff get in the way. i hope you get skinnyed out like you want. do it fast so you could come back fast. then you could put up a picture of the skinny you.
...biggy hugs from lenny

Jen said...

I will miss you stopping by my blog each day... (you're one of my favorites) but I understand! Lately I've had to give up stopping by all my favorite blogs so I can have some revising time!

So good luck with gym time :) Good luck with the 5K!!!

Stephen Tremp said...

You go ... I need to get off my butt and get things done to. Keep us updated on your progress.

Stephen Tremp

Jolene said...

Good Luck training!

aspiring_x said...

i hope you get in such great shape you can run this whole one! we're proud of you! have a blast! (although you will be missed dearly!)

Wendy Ramer said...

You go girl! I'll bet you can reach your size 10 goal by the end of the year, at least. Then you can say you made it to size 10 in 2010 ;-)

Megalicious said...

Good for you! Blogging - both writing AND reading - can be a real time suck. You deserve a break, especially one like this that will have healthy results for you :)

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Aww, you know I'll miss you but it's good you're taking some time for yourself. You deserve it. :)