Join the Madness

Sunday, August 29, 2010

ahhh

Last night we drove to a neighboring town to watch fireworks.  We got there about an hour early, so headed towards the park so the kids could play a bit and pass the time.

Coders, whose social skills really are not where they need to be, made a friend immediately who followed him around the rest of the night.

It was writer's heaven, actually.  Dozens of kids from the barely walking to teens.  Some were on bikes, making a makeshift ramp out of a grassy hill. Some were climbing up the outside of the play structure -- I was just waiting for someone to get hurt.  Some were showing off their dogs (I pet the softest Irish setter ever. Silky).  One teen (no more than 15) was brazenly smoking at the top of one of the play structures. You could tell he thought he was cool, but he looked like a fool.  His friend was shirtless and strutting around like HE was the cool one.

Parents dotted the perimeter of the playground, some paying more attention than others. Coder's friend's father said he was going to the car and he'd be right back.  But 20 mins later he was still nowhere to be found.  I started freaking out.  What if he doesn't come back?  What do you do with a 4 year old who's not yours in a town you don't live in?  How heartbreaking would that be for the little boy?  Then I wondered if that would make a worthy plot...(He eventually returned, thankfully)

All in all, it was a really nice night.  Reminded me when I was a kid and we would play hide and seek well past dusk and for whatever reason our parents decided to let us play rather than calling us in for bath time.  Eventually we had to go to the bathroom or get a drink and that's when the snagged us.

Remember the magic of just playing?  What were your favorite childhood games?

13 comments:

Melanie Sherman said...

Wow, that dad was certainly trusting of strangers. I would have been freaking out, too.

All I remember of hide and seek was that whenever I found a really, really great place to hide, I'd end up having to go before I got found. You don't ever win if you have to jump up and run into the house. *sigh*

Jolene said...

We'd play hike and seek in the woods until after midnight. It doesn't get dark in the summer up here.
But I will say that all that playing in the woods made the Blair Witch Project my scariest movie EVER.

Nicole MacDonald said...

I saw Jurassic Park when I was 13 and LOVED IT. My brother and I and the other 'bush' kids would play Jurassic Park around our huts (remember the shack surrounded by dense bush *grin). One heck of a game with HEAPS of screaming involved. Basically tag but there were two teams, the dino's and the humans. not sure who it was more fun to be...

http://damselinadirtydress.blogspot.com

Wendy Ramer said...

I grew up with Box Ball in the street till the wee hours. I miss those days.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Loved your post. We played a hide and seek game and at the end of the searching time, we decided how long that was, we yelled, 'All in, all in, wherever you are!' The streets echoed to it.

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like a great night and some wonderful plots. It's a shame we have to grow up and quit playing games.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Mary said...

Dodge Ball, kick the can, stick ball and red rover all played in the field by the willow tree from noon until dark with time out for eating.
That father was certainly a trusting soul -- not to mention an idiot.

Bish Denham said...

My best friend (a boy) and I played very long drawn out imaginary games. We had many different personae that we put on and took off like clothes. Each persona belonged to a different game. So we were pirates, or detectives, or explorers, or ghost hunters. There were a couple of times where we got so involved in a game that we scared ourselves silly had to quit and then nervously laughed at ourselves.

Those were the days. The only rule our parents gave us was to be back by dark because it gets dark so fast in the tropics.

Lenny said...

hi miss vicki! i like how you told us about last night. you made me feel like i was right there with you. before i got sick and was in the hospital soooo much i liked to play tag and hide and seek. i liked a wrestle game me and my brothers did and i liked to play make believe stuff. when i got sick i did mostly board games. the last time i got that yucky chemo and radiation stuff i learned how to play uno and made my brother play a zillion games of it with me at the hospital. haha.
...hugs from lenny

chasing empty pavements said...

Love this post...reminds me of late summer evenings when I was younger. We'd be out in the streets of our small Iowa town playing in the streets until the mosquitos came out and the porch lights came on. I honestly think many people who grow up in big cities lose this important piece of childhood that most of us get from small towns. I wouldn't trade it for the world! Thanks for the post!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

You've laid out a wonderful image that very well could be the opening scene in a novel. What would you do with the boy if nobody came back? Turn him over to the police and walk away? That would be hard to do ...

Lola Sharp said...

People watching is the best.

And, that dad? Shame on him on several levels.
BUT, that string of thoughts you had about him not coming back, the what-ifs? That is exactly how I come up with ideas for my books. One weird thing leads to a bunch of creepy questions...and a new word.doc is opened. (or at least the Idea Notebook gets a new entry)

loveable_homebody said...

Oh, I love that verb: "dotted." You are a great writer. I think your work is so punchy and clear. Also, I liked that your rhymed "cool" with "fool." Haha.