Join the Madness

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Adoption

I read about CJ's adoption heartache a week ago and knew I had to help, for very personal reasons which I will share with you.

At 19, I found myself unexpectedly pregnant.  I had no job, the father was a complete loser (one of those what the HELL was I thinking experiences), I was going to school, and still living with my parents.  I knew I was in no position to raise a child, so I began looking into adoption.  

I found a wonderful couple.  I knew the minute I saw their picture.  It was like I recognized them.  Not possible of course, they lived in an entirely different state, but I knew they were the ones.  On June 2, 1991 I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.  They took her home on June 5th.  And, best of all, on September 17, 2009, she came back into my life.  And she is stunningly beautiful.

From the beginning, I felt like I was meant to get pregnant and destined to find her new parents.  Rather than being haunted with regrets, I felt only joy that I was able to complete someone's family.  What greater joy is there than to give someone the gift of life and love?  

So, I made a donation to CJ's fund today.  I wish I was able to give more. Times are tight for all of us, but if you can spare a few dollars, please do.  Every mom who has ever entrusted her child to a stranger thanks you.


12 comments:

Nicole MacDonald said...

Oh wow that must have been one heck of a time for you. That's awesome that you got to see her again. I'm off to CJ's blog

Candyland said...

Adoption is such a wonderful thing for those looking to go down that alley (we've been thinking of adopting if this pregnancy doesn't happen in th next few years). I think you're a brave woman doing what you felt was best for everyone and it's even better you got to see how wonderful she turned out.
xoxo

aspiring_x said...

wow vicki! what a great outlook! if only more people saw it that way! :)

Amie B said...

what a beautiful story - thank you so much for sharing it with us. i can't even imagine turning what could possibly be a painful experience, into something so wonderful, selfless and giving. i'm sure that couple thanks you every day.

i have two adopted siblings as does my husband and we couldn't imagine our families without them.

Carole Anne Carr said...

I thought at first that the end of your story would be very sad indeed, so relieved and pleased for you that is was wonderful after all.

N. R. Williams said...

I am touched. And I am thankful that societies views regarding adoption have changed enough to allow you the opportunity to be a part of your daughters life. We still have a long way to go.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Jolene said...

My husband was adopted and I just hit print on a book I wrote where it comes into play.
I think its awesome.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I gave too. I hope and pray they make enough to get their darling girl!! :-)

Lenny said...

hi miss vicki! me and my family already gave some money. i gotta say youre sooooo special and you got a really big heart.
...hugs from lenny

Wendy Ramer said...

Wow, Vicki. I'm so happy for you that she came back into your life. Just this summer, a friend of mine found out her mother (at age 17) had given up her first baby when that now-52-yr-old contacted them. My friend and her mother got to meet their brother and son (respectively) and are so filled with joy.

Cheers to you!

C.J. Redwine said...

Thank you so much for posting this. And for uniting a family with your precious gift of life.

Little Ms J said...

Thanks for sharing! I think adoption is such a beautiful thing.