Join the Madness

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Reading Machine

History has been made, folks, and I'm here to share it with you!  First, I read three books cover to cover this past weekend.  Not a personal record by any means, but it is significant for my recent history.  But that's not what I'm talking about.

I ordered my first ever ebook from Amazon.  

I'll be the first to admit I've been a bit skittish with the whole electronic book thing.  I mean there's something so personal and soothing about holding a book in your hands. I'd like to think we leave a bit of us within the pages, which is one of the reasons I love buying used books.  They've been loved, worn-in, they are seasoned.  And as far as I could see an ebook was cold and spiritless.  Brittle even.

So, I bought Mary McDonald's No Good Deed.  I opened it up in the FREE Kindle for PC, just to get a peek at what an ebook was all about.  Next thing I know, I'm starting Chapter 5.  So much for cold, spiritless & brittle.  It sucked me right in and I was bummed when I had to stop reading.

As for the electronic format, I was excited to discover I could change the font size!  I could change screen colors!  I could type notes in the margin (I'm not a note-taker but still, I appreciate the functionality!)  Ahhhhhh, I enjoyed the experience.  I can almost ALMOST see myself buying a Kindle or a Nook or something in the future.  Imagine lugging several books around at once with no added bulk or weight?  HEAVEN!

Here's the blurb from Amazon:

Mark Taylor, a photographer in Chicago, discovers first hand that no good deed goes unpunished when the old camera he found during a freelance job in an Afghanistan bazaar gives him more than great photos. It triggers dreams of disasters. Tragedies that happen exactly as he envisions them. He learns that not only can he see the future, he can change it. Then the unthinkable happened and everyone ignored his frantic warnings. Thousands die. Suddenly, the Feds are pounding on his door and the name they have for Taylor isn't urban hero. It's enemy combatant. And, it means they can do anything they want to him. Anything at all.

Mark is haunted by his dreams even in prison until he turns them to his advantage and obtains his release. Penniless, alone, and his life destroyed, Mark knows a brutal terrorist attack is coming, and will claim countless lives. He puts everything on the line to stop it. With only hours to act, he must prevent the horror even at the risk of his own freedom. His only chance of thwarting the attack lies in trusting his worst enemy--the bastard who interrogated him for over a year.

Anyhow, to be totally honest, I was somewhat hesitant because I don't do suspense/thrillers well.  I'm not kidding you, I get really cranky when things go from bad to worse.  Sometimes the tension is just to much for me and I have to put the book down.  Didn't used to be that way, but ever since I had kids, my taste in books has gone from intense to 'fluff'.

I am DELIGHTED to report, however, that I really enjoyed this book. And I'm not just sayin' that because Mary's a frequent visitor here either.  I especially got a kick out of the main character's name because it just happened to be the same name as the really cute guy I crushed on in my Computer Science class my junior year of high school.  (YUMMY!)  I also think she did a good job humanizing the villains.  You start out hating them, of course, but after awhile you start to think there might be more there.

I give this two thumbs up! Good job, Mary!

7 comments:

Nicole MacDonald said...

Oooh that's exciting! I might do this myself, I was holding off till I get a kindle - but who knows when that'll be! I wonder if I can transfer it too my laptop (isn't net capable). Off to check! Thanks for the review

Mary said...

Took me a bit to get out of all fluff after the kids came. I finally got back to reading almost everything.
I think I will put this one on the list.

Mary
Giggles and Guns

Candyland said...

Yay for Mary! I'll have to check it out for sure! And I feel the same way about thrillers. It stresses me out:)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

OH. MY. GOD. Did Vicki just say she might be getting a Kindle or Nook? I never thought I'd hear her say that. ;)

Megalicious said...

I was hesitant about ebooks at first too, but I got a kindle for my birthday in May & I love it. It's a lot easier to carry around a light thing like that than a big heavy hardcover book!

Tahereh said...

wow how cool! im so happy you liked it -- im a little wary of the ebook experience, too.

here's looking up! :D

Carolyn V. said...

Sweet! I love to hear good things about a book. I was also glad to hear you like the ebook thing. I've been wondering about that. =)