Join the Madness

Monday, July 26, 2010

Mock Me Monday - On the Radio


There are several chapters of my life that fall under the heading, "I shoulda known better".  I know hindsight is 20/20 and wisdom comes with age and experience, but even when these things happened, I should have known it wasn't going to end well.

Let's take another trip back to high school, shall we?  I was shy back then.  The last thing I ever wanted to do was call attention to myself.  I was happy as a fringe observer, and in Vegas it was easy to be one.  So many students in my school, most of us just blended in.

I had to ride the bus to and from school.  I was indifferent to it.  Sure, I would have loved a ride, but I didn't hate the bus.  So many of my friends rode the bus, we actually had FUN sometimes. 

My type, if I have one, has generally been the clean-cut, all American boy next door sort.  I prefer dark hair and eyes, but have  been known to veer from that standard on more than one occasion (ahem, like Brian).

There came a time when for no particular reason I found myself drawn to a somewhat punky/skater guy.  Soooo not my type.  But you really can't help who you are attracted to, can you?  Not sure what the attraction was.  I'd never talked to him, I only ever saw him when he passed by on the bus.  I think it was his big chocolate brown eyes.  So dark you could hardly see the pupil.  

Anyway, his head was mostly shaved except for two little lines along the top.  Those were spiked into a curl about an inch long.  The result, if you looked at him straight on, you'd think he had two horns sticking out the top of his head. (See lovely illustration).

My friend and I called him Horny because we didn't know his name.

My friend was a good deal more outgoing than I was.  Normally this was a good thing for me...helped to pull me out of my shell and all.  But sometimes it backfired bigtime.

You like it when things backfire on me, don't you?

This particular day, she began shouting to Horny who sat waaaaaaaaay at the back of the bus.  I don't remember exactly what she said, just that it was tremendously embarrassing.  Like shrink down in your seat and wish you were dead embarrassing.  I'm pretty sure she incorporated the word "horny" as often as she could.

And oh yeah...the bus was packed so everyone got to hear.  But that's not the worst part.  Ohhh no.

I should pause to note here that my BFF and I were on friendly terms with several of the local radio dee jays.  We'd call to request songs, and we'd call back to say thank you (which apparently no one ever does) so they were predisposed to like us.  We got on the air all the time.  We hung out at the station on several occasions.  Sometimes we would record blurbs you hear between songs for them. They would tell us what to say, "98.6 plays the BEST music" or whatever.  My friend even dated one of the dee jays for awhile, but that's another story for another day. 

After I got home, I called up one of my favorites to request a song.  I thought if I mentioned I'd had a rough day, it'd speed up the time it took to play my song.  I had no intention of sharing the details, Jay asked about it, and before you know it, he'd prodded me into a full-blown rant.  I spilled it all.  About the time I was done, he put me on hold (a common occurrence as they switch songs or take other calls).  Two minutes later I hear myself on the radio going on and on and ON about the bus incident in gory detail.

I could've killed him, and damn near did.  It wasn't bad enough 60 kids on a bus witnessed my humiliation. Oh, no.  I had to go blab to a dee jay and get myself broadcast to THOUSANDS.

Sigh.  

And so it is I learned that it is better NOT to over share with radio personalities whilst they are on duty.

18 comments:

Stephanie Thornton said...

Oh my- that's quite a lesson. And quite a hair-do, I might add!

Man, am I glad high school is over. I feel for my students!

Mason Canyon said...

OMG, I'm sure at the time it was no laughing matter. But, now (sorry, can't help myself). Thanks for the laugh this morning and a reminder not to share unless you know there's only one person listening on the other end.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Jen said...

Wow I'm with mason I'm sure then it was no laughing fest but now you should be able to laugh at! Thanks for the story, and again I'm with Stephanie thank goodness High School is over.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I have a thing for dark-haired guys, too.

I'm with Jen and Sephanie about high school being over. I prefer to enjoy it from the comforts of my chair while reading YA novels. ;)

Creepy Query Girl said...

Lol- that is too funny. I think its so cool that you were on a first name basis with the disk jockeys at the radio station. We used to call in when we were in middle school and it was a huge deal if they did your song or dedication. Your post brought me back!

aspiring_x said...

lol. i love mock-me-mondays! you are SO much fun... hee hee horny... *continues to giggle like a 12-year-old*

Jaydee Morgan said...

*laughs*...ah, the lessons we learn ;)

On the other hand, now you have a great story to share - and I'm definitely glad you did. I think we all can relate to these moments of "I should have known better"

Steena Holmes said...

OMG! I don't have a story better than that! I can feel your pain though!

Stephen Tremp said...

Glad high school is over too. Time to laugh now. I glad for Facebbok. Amazing how many people you can reconnect with at a safe distance.

Stephen Tremp

Dawn said...

Ahhh! I'm trying not to laugh, but I can so relate. I have many high school stories like this. You have much more courage than me to share them. Thankfully, high school is behind us - and we carry those lessons with us now :-) xo

Olivia J. Herrell said...

But whatever happened to Horny?? Ooo, tell us, tell us! :D

~that rebel, Olivia

beth said...

What was he thinking with that hair?! A fitting nickname ;)

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Lol and cringe. I've had some horrible friend pulling me out of my shell moments too. What did happen to Horny?

Jolene said...

Hey, that's great. I too, need to know what happened to "horny"

Susan Fields said...

That's a great story! Did he want people to call him Horny? Because that's only natural with a hair style like that.

Mary McDonald said...

Ah, but there was a purpose to it all...it all happened so that one day many years later, you would have a funny blog post. :-D

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Just think...you didn't realize back then that your tale of woe would make a great blog post!

I was a radio DJ in the early 80's...

Ed Pilolla said...

haha! i love that you were friendly with the dee-jays. that is flirting well, over the phone for music.
very entertaining.