Join the Madness

Monday, July 5, 2010

Mock Me Monday - Adventureland

Years and years (and YEARS) ago, my older sister decided to take me and her son to Adventureland in Des Moines.  We were living in a SMALL NW Iowa at the time.  Population: 250.  Think about it. Some of you have more followers / facebook friends than the town had people.  

Yeah, that small.

So it kinda goes without saying as a teenager in a tiny town, there wasn't a whole lot to do.  A trip out of town was big, but spending the night AND getting to play at the amusement park all day was HUGE.

My mom made me a new swimsuit...my first bikini.  It's not one of those embarrassing homemade creations.  My mom was a talented seamstress, she made my wedding dress.  

ANYHOW, so we get to Des Moines mid afternoon the first day so I went down to the pool.  My nephew and sister stayed in the room for whatever reason, so I was feeling oh-so-cool strutting around the pool in my new bikini by myself.  I was a whopping 14 and was waiting for some cute boy to approach and profess his undying love.

You remember how it was at 14.

I was lying in the sun trying (in vain) to tan, but the sun was really hot so I jumped in the pool to cool off.  After a few minutes, I pulled myself out of the pool.  A boy, maybe about 16, was staring.  I strode back to my lounge chair.  The very picture of confidence and cool.

I took my seat.  I wiped my dripping face with a towel, using the opportunity to check to see if he was still watching me.

He was.

SQUEEE!

I laid back in the chair, one leg stretched out, one bent at the knee (some magazine said this was the most flattering position for leg viewing.)

I closed my eyes and peeked at him through my lashes.  

He was still checkin' me out.

I was so glad my sister wasn't around to rain on my parade.  This was the stuff of books and movies!  YES!  I pictured us exchanging phone numbers and addresses and having QUITE the summer romance.

And that's when I realized my bikini top had slipped.

Oh, yes it did.

I oh-so-casually reached down to pull it back into position, and resumed sunning myself.

Funny thing. Mr. Hot Stuff lost all interest once I was covered again.


16 comments:

Ted Cross said...

Great that you kept your cool!

Melanie Sherman said...

You are awesome! So poised even at 14. :)

I've given you two awards, by the way. Please swim by my blog to pick them up. But you might want to check your bikini top first.

Nicole MacDonald said...

Hee love that!! I found out from a guy I had the hots for tell me that the back of my swimsuit was see-thru..and my butt was very visible...

The Alliterative Allomorph said...

AW! No way! hehehe. Classic. We're you not embarrassed? Or were you just fuming because the boy stopped looking?

Mary said...

Wow! What poise at 14! reat tale for a Monday.

Jen said...

I'm just laughing that this happened at Adventureland in!!! I used to love going there! 14 and you were already meant to tell stories! How embarassing... men, always lose interest one there's nothing to see!

The hubs is from a town of 250 people so when he moved to Des Moines and I took him to a movie theater it thought it was the coolest thing ever!! Ha-ha!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Wow, my neighborhood has more people than your old town!!!

Geez, at fourteen, I would flopped on to my towel, and no posing ensued. Now I know what I did wrong. Okay, apparently flashing my non-existent chest MIGHT have helped too. ;)

Lydia Kang said...

You have the BEST stories. Ha ha! Of course if that was me, flat chested as I was then, even if my bikini top slipped there's be no boys lookin'.
:)

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Wow, 14 year old you handled that very well! I think I would've started crying - but that's just me. :)

Dawn said...

OMG, I can relate to this. I had this bikini when I was 16 and I went on a waterslide for the first time. I made it to the bottom - my bikini top and bottom did not.

Ed Pilolla said...

you handled it as well as possible. those des moines boys, they're all just gawkers:)

Jolene said...

Great story.

Theresa Milstein said...

Oh, you poor thing! But I bet a shirt or bikini slip has happened to all of us at some point. Sounds like you handled it well.

Wendy Ramer said...

How could you not feel that? I don't know about you, but at 14 I was always fixing myself, NOT confident enough to assume anything was all right.

Saumya said...

Haha, you are SO slick!!! I would definitely start fidgeting and ruining everything. Good for you!

Julie Musil said...

These stories of yours crack me up! I thought you were going to say it was see-thru. Pretty much the same thing, I guess.