Join the Madness

Friday, July 9, 2010

From the Mouths of Babes...


This one is going to be short and sweet since I'm typing this on my lunch hour and I'd like to, you know, EAT.

I’ve been writing things down that my son (7) has been saying. This is nowhere near a complete list because the child talks NONSTOP these days. A lot of his talk is just spewing back facts he’s read online. Like:

“K-mart was a subsidiary of Office Max”
(No, I haven’t double checked. He’s usually right, so I stopped verifying and take him at his word a long time ago.)

So without further ado, I turn the stage over to Coders:

"Courtney! These are *whisper* dead humans. Are you frightened?"
(he was holding magnetix in the ‘shape’ of humans)

"Courtney, your love hurts! I don't like it! Blechhh!"
(I’m guessing she was trying to hug him against his will)

"If you eat electricity while standing in a puddle, you might die of electrocution."
(excellent advice for anyone)

I was singing to him one day (at his request):

Rock a bye baby
on the tree top
when the wind blows
the cradle will rock

*holding up a hand to stop me*
*major serious face*

"Wait a minute. Did you know a tree top is no safe place to rock?"


The other night I was sitting on the couch trying to write. He comes running up, very excited.

"Hey! Gimme six!"
*holding up six fingers instead of 5*
We slap a "high six" and he's off again.


Coders: Dad, why did K's Merchandise close?
Dad: Because people didn't shop there
*silence*
Coders: Or maybe the franchise liquidated.
(yeah, maybe the franchise liquidated...it's sad when a 7 year old makes you feel stupid)

Cody is standing in the middle of the living room. He has no shirt on, and is holding a water bottle to his chest and water is dripping down.  We ask him what he is doing. He says, “I’m feeding them” 

I hope you laughed!  


If you haven't already done so, this is your absolute last chance to send me an excerpt for the Matchy Match fun. Just a paragraph or so, doesn't have to be fancy or perfect.  Send the title and tidbit to missvspeaks(at)gmail(dot)com.  The list will be posted tomorrow morning!


Hope you all have a fantastic weekend. Any notable plans?

15 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

They are hilarious! I cracked up at the tree top one.

Jen said...

What a cute kid! They are always more knowledgeable at that age!!! Send them to the zoo and they know way more than you ever remember knowing at that age!!

I'm excited for the Matchy Matchy fun game!!! Bring it!!!

No super exciting plans, the hubs works so I plan on going to Harwin (a place where they fabulously inexpensive jewelry) eat some lunch and swim if it isn't raining!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Too cute!

Yep, my 6 and 8 year olds chatter non-stop. Makes me appreciate my quieter 10 yo. It's hard when I walk the younger two home from the school bus stop. They both talk at the same time and then get mad because they're talking at the same time. What they don't realize is I haven't really been listening because I've been thinking about my wip. ;)

Wendy Ramer said...

Absolutely love that boy. Reminds me of a clip I used to have in my sidebar by the same name (Out of the mouths of babes), where I quoted my son. My favorite was:

...while driving the 5-hour drive from South Florida to North Florida to visit the in-laws, we exit the highway about one hour south of our destination and my husband says, "We'll be there in two shakes of a lamb's tail."

My son replies, "Daddy, do lambs shake their tails very slowly?"

DL Hammons said...

Loved these!! My eleven year old still comes up with some zingers that get me laughing. Just the other night....

Mom - "If you get out of that bed one more time I going to strap you in!"

Son - "That's kind of harsh, don't you think."

Matthew Rush said...

FUN! Kids are the best.

After a family game of Pictionary once my (then) 7 year old daughter asked the team we had just beaten: "Are you guys feeling sweaty at all? Cause you just got burned!" True story.

Today's guest blogger is Guinevere Rowell!

Creepy Query Girl said...

LOL- I loved the water chest adecdote! Too funny!

Lenny said...

hi miss vicki! ha ha. too funny. i like the electricity one and the tree top one. cody knows about how to be safe for sure! hope you have a really fun weekend.
...hugs from lenny

Tahereh said...

lol so cute!! love it!

elizabeth mueller said...

ROFL! Coders is soooo cute!! :0)

Saumya said...

Haha, he is so wise and totally right about the tree top!!!

I have an award for you at my blog :) Hope you have a great weekend!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Fun stuff, Vicki! Sorry I've been absent. I had a flood in my basement when I got back from vacation. UGH! I hope you had better weather than we did!

PS...Sorry I didn't send you a thank you card...I've been a bit distracted. Sadly (yep, I used an -ly word), I didn't win any money, so we don't have anything to split... :( It was fun though. :)

Carolyn V. said...

LOL! What a cutie! I love the, "your love hurts!" So cute.

Zoe C. Courtman said...

Oh, man. Thanks for those!! LOVE love love love LOVE the things kids come up with. I remember once telling my then-five-year-old son that it was time for bath and bed. He charged past me, launched himself over the back of the couch and rebel yelled, "YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!" Oh, man. Still giggle at that one :D

Sandy Shin said...

Aw, he's so cute! I love this:

"Courtney, your love hurts! I don't like it! Blechhh!"

:D