Join the Madness

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Early Writer


I saw my sister this weekend and picked up those old letters she read to me awhile back.  I am alternating between laughing out loud and wanting to DIE of embarrassment that I ever wrote such things much less SENT them.  They're too long to post in their entirety, so I'll have to pick and choose snippets to share. 

TODAY, I'm going to share a picture of me that ran in the local paper.  I was almost 5 here...



And then I thought I'd share a thank you letter I wrote to my grandparents.  I cannot BELIEVE how many errors there are.  I had JUST turned 8, which isn't really an excuse because my daughter who is 9 hasn't made those mistakes in forever.







(I think if you click on the letter it'll get bigger so you can read easier)

I should add that this letter is special to me because I remember writing it.  I remember NOT wanting to write it, but Mom insisted.  I remember sitting at the desk and my sister (Dana) being in the kitchen advising me on what to write next.   The family coming and going I don't recall, but I feel like giving the younger me a hug.

*****************************
Contest Reminder:

To win a copy of Kate Kaynak's Minder,do the following: 
  1. Go to Kate's blog at the Disgruntled Bear 
  2. Become a follower and 
  3. Write "I KNOW what you're thinking" in her comments
Contest is open until July 31st.  Enter every day to increase your chances!


Kate had 98 followers the last time I checked.  Can we get her over 100 before Friday?

*****************************

26 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Thanks, for sharing, Vicki, marvellous!

Lenny said...

hi miss vicki! what a cool letter. im glad skipper the bird was still chattering. ha ha. you were already being a writer. i like how you did the i's on your name. they look like balloons. when you get famous you could sign you name like that. :)
...hugs from lenny

DL Hammons said...

How cute! And that picture in the paper...you look like your about to attack the photographer and smash his camera into a zillion pieces. :)

Talei said...

Oh Vicki, this is priceless!! How wonderful that you have these letters now. A total treasure, you must keep them!! ;)

Candyland said...

Awww that's sweet! And how cute!!!

Dawn said...

What a sweet little girl you were! Thanks for sharing - and for the Tuesday morning smile.

Culture Served Raw said...

That is so adorable Vicki!

aspiring_x said...

very cute!

Jaydee Morgan said...

I think it's awesome that you still have those letters and pics! Such fun things to look back on - even if they make you cringe ;)

Wendy Ramer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew Rush said...

This is totally adorable! You were a great righter even back then.

Wendy Ramer said...

Ah, memories. The stuff that nostalgia is made of. And who wouldn't smile at the irony of a writer who once struggled with the right spelling of "write"?

Angela said...

I think you were a very articulate 8 year old. I especially loved the laughing sound effects.

Creepy Query Girl said...

awe, what a great thing to have!

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

So cute! I love looking back at things I wrote as a kid. It makes me happy knowing my Mom hung on to them for years... although the box o' goods has already been transferred to my own storage unit -- the top of a closet.

I'll go enter that contest! You can tell her you sent me.

Tahereh said...

awwww that was awesome!!

Talli Roland said...

So cute! I love the: now comes some good stuff!

You were a very confident writer! :)

Jen said...

Holy crap this was super adorable!!!!! I love it!!! I don't know what is going on with my blog roll today! I missed your post!! *stomps feet* what is going on this week! I think I'm losing it!

I have a blog fest I hope you'll join in on the fun, it's my very first and I think it'd be a ton of fun, since you are a wonderful writer :)

KarenG said...

That is so sweet! How wonderful that you have the letter and the picture to capture you at this moment in time.

Lydia Kang said...

Another reason to thank moms for making us do stuff we didn't want to do. That was precious!

Carolyn V. said...

How cute! And I love the letter (even though your parents made you write it). So sweet!

Kimberly Franklin said...

Aw, how cute!

Palindrome said...

I love finding old letters. It's a cross between laughing and running and hiding when you find them. :D

Susan Fields said...

That letter is so cute! I saved one that my younger daughter wrote to my son (yes, the same two that I just posted about hugging upon his return from camp). It says: "To Kevin, you are a vary mien brethr. your breth smells dakasting. I hat you Kevin and bie the way Jillian haats you too." (Jillian is the big sister). Aren't kids cute? :) I really don't remember how old she was when she wrote it, and obviously she didn't date it, but I want to say about 6.

Little Ms J said...

This is adorable. I love the stream of consciousness and that your LOVE, VICKI is almost the size of the letter! Adorable. I'm sure your grandparents treasured it.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

My grandparents saved some of my letters from when I moved to America. I've read them once...it's a bit (lot) emotional for me. I have the letters they wrote trying to get adoption of me. (Okay now I'm crying) It was wonderful to know someone loved me that much... Shesh, now I'm a mess...