Join the Madness

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Contest Reminder & New Question

To win a copy of Kate Kaynak's Minder, (and an extra surprise I picked up yesterday) do the following: 
  1. Go to Kate's blog at the Disgruntled Bear 
  2. Become a follower and 
  3. Write "I KNOW what you're thinking" in her comments
Contest is open until July 31st.  Enter every day to increase your chances!


Kate is hovering in the 90's for followers.  I'd love to push her over 100, and if she hits 100 before the 31st, I will add an additional surprise to the winning package. 

*****************************
Today's question: 


What genre do you have trouble reading?  
I'm mostly women's fiction and classics.  I like my reading light but engaging.  YA is great for this as a general rule.  But that wasn't my question, was it?  (try to stay focused, Vic)
I used to LOVE thrillers.  Paranormal, crime, psychological. Then I had children and I just couldn't handle them anymore.  Too intense. 

I think the one genre I RARELY touch is non-fiction.  Blech.  I know this is totally unwarranted, but in my head non-fiction = Booooring.  Please don't defend it to me, I KNOW I'm being judgmental and narrow minded.  And with so much other stuff out there to read, convincing me to change my mind is gonna be hard.

So, how about you?  What genre do you just have zero interest in?

12 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

My no-go area is horror! Makes me have sleepless nights.

Nicole MacDonald said...

I actually enjoy some non-fiction. I love reading about women in history and read an awesome book about Catherine the Great a few months ago :)

Zero interest? Over-done romances with BAD descriptions - bleeaaahhhhhh!

Theresa Milstein said...

I'm just like you! I used to devour Stephen King books, but I can't read horrors or thrillers anymore. Science fiction is growing on me. My favorite is fantasy/YA.

Talli Roland said...

Horror and thrillers are a NO for me. I just can't enjoy feeling scared. Literary fiction can be a fairly tough go depending on how obscure it is, too.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I don't like gory...I like scary, but not gross scary...

Vicki...Please send me your address! You won a random daily prize on my blog. :)

Mary said...

Classics -- I just can't get into what for me is excess detail.

DL Hammons said...

Romance. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. :)

Wendy Ramer said...

Science fiction. And then non-fiction. Unless it's Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat Pray Love. But I'm sure that wasn't the type of non-fiction you were referring to when you said boooooring. (If it was, then you and I have some bones to pick ;-))

Jolene said...

I would say fantasy, but every time one has been recommended to me, I love it. I just don't seek them out. I don't read books that are labeled romance without something else, but I love a good girlie love story. You know what? I'm looking over my all-over-the-place comment and realize that I'll read anything.

Lenny said...

hi miss vicki! for sure i dont like lovey dovey and girly stuff. ick!

...smiles from lenny

aspiring_x said...

plain old romance... boring and often smut! now romance integrated into some other genre- that's good.

beth said...

Usually my no-go is memoir. I like fantastic stories where anything can happen, not memories of stuff that already has happened.