Join the Madness

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Portable Art Gallery

This has nothing to do with writing, except for the fact that I have to type the post out which is technically writing.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge art fan, but once in awhile certain artists or pieces will speak to me.  The problem is art can be REALLY expensive, and when my tastes are so fickle, I have trouble spending that kind of money on something I may not like a month down the road.

What to do?  Nothing replaces the real thing, of course, but I created a miniature art-gallery for my fridge / desk awhile back.  I found these magnetic sleeves at the drug store: 


For my desk I used these acrylic frames:



You could use real frames if you wanted, I couldn't find any reasonably priced (I had a couple dozen I wanted to make for my cubicle walls)

Then I went to art.com and browsed their inventory.  I saved off images I liked,



I arranged them into a Word doc (to save paper) and printed them out on nice paper.  Then just cut and frame!  I wish I still had mine to show you (fickle, remember?).  I had one set on my fridge at home and another on my desk at work. In fact, I love this idea so much, I think I might do it again.

8 comments:

Nicole MacDonald said...

fun idea, might have to copy it

Mary said...

What a great idea! Some writer's listen to music to get started, I prefer a picture for inspiration. This way I could use more pics at less cost.
Vicki, you rock!
Mary
Giggles and Guns

Theresa Milstein said...

It's lovely having art around.

Lisa and Laura said...

Fab idea! Perfect for a bit of inspiration!

Jaydee Morgan said...

I'm loving this idea! I think I might put this to good use...my office area could use a little artistic sprucing up :)

Carolyn V. said...

Great idea! =)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Cool idea! I love art...I try and buy a piece of local art when we travel (if it's in my budget)...When we were in the Bahamas and Costa Rica the local art was really nice and reasonable...

Barbara Stanton said...

I'm an artist who specializes in miniature oil paintings. I make prints of my paintings that can be very affordable and would fit into a cubicle environment perfectly. They fit on to tiny wooden easels and are scaled to look great in a dollhouse setting as well. Each piece is framed in a tiny wooden frame. You can check out the 100's of my original designs at http://www.barbarastanton.com