Join the Madness

Thursday, June 17, 2010

AWARDS!


I was about to say this was the moment you've all been waiting for, but I'm not that delusional.  You all have busy lives, I doubt you've been gnawing on your nails thinking, "when in the Sam Hell is that woman going to quit sitting on those awards?"  Yeah, I thought not.  But the time has come to clean out the award closet!

From the stupendous Stina at Seeing Creative, I got the  beautiful Blogger Buddy award. 




 I got the Sunshine Award from the wonderful Julie Musil.  (bet you thought I forgot, huh?)


Life is Good award from the fabulous Julie Dao At Silver Lining.  

1. What's your favorite genre to read? Why?Growing up I read a lot of fairy tales, then romance then horror/paranormal.  Nowadays, I'm a lightweight.  Since I had kids, I can't handle most horror/paranormals.  I'm mostly women's fiction and the YA my daughter passes on.

2. If you couldn't write in the genre you do, what genre would you write in?
I'm currently doing women's fiction, so if that was out, I'd do YA or paranormal (either adult or YA)

3. Pepsi or Coke?Diet Coke.  I grew up hating Coke, feeling like they used predatory marketing techniques.  Then, when I started buying soda I found Diet Coke had more bubbles so if I put it in the fridge today, I had a better chance of it NOT going flat overnight.  Is that weird?

4. How do you spend your Sundays?
Make breakfast for the family, grocery shopping (sometimes hubby does this solo), then I go out in the afternoon, to do whatever.

5. Penguin or giraffe?I'm going to say giraffe because warm climates ALWAYS trump cold ones.

6. What type of vehicle do you drive?We have a Honda Pilot and a Dodge Dakota

7. Would you lick a battery if your life depended on it?
OMG!  I was JUST telling my daughter that I used to do this.  I don't know why, and I don't know why or when I stopped.  So yeah, I'd lick a battery.  FYI, my daughter looked at me like I had lost my ever-lovin' mind.

8. When do you like to write - in the morning, the afternoon, or the evening?I like evenings when the house is quiet.  Sometimes I write in bed on the weekends. 

9. Which do you like more - Facebook or Twitter?
I prefer BLOGGING!  I have a family facebook account (I'll open an author account sometime, I won't be mixing the two.  Never know what my friends / family are going to say so I need to separate to keep up the professional mirage)

10. If you get hurt (like a scrape on the knee or break your arm), do you ask for a band-aid?
 LOL. Nope, I get my own.  Actually, growing up, we could ONLY ask for a band-aid if we were actually bleeding.  I'm more lenient with my kids, sometimes putting the bandage over unscathed skin just to make them happy.


Then I got the versatile blogger award from the sensational Sharon Mayhew at Random Thoughts. Sharon is officially the closest blogger to me.  We live about an hour apart, but haven't met yet (soon, though!)  She won one of the runners-up prizes during the blackjack contest and I just won All the Numbers by Judy Merrill Larsen.  Can't wait to read it!

So, I'm to share seven things about myself.   Let's get to it:

1.I sometimes freak myself out at night by thinking 'what if I were sitting here and there was a face in the window?' (I live in a split level, so all windows are on the 2nd floor...seeing a face in the window would be CREEPY).  Then I close curtains and blinds because I'm afraid I WILL see something.

2.  I have weird dreams where my teeth are crumbling and falling out.  I think this denotes anxiety in real life, but I could be wrong.

3. I didn't get my driver's license until I was 28.  Just never had a desire to drive, but when we moved back to Iowa, it was no longer an option. I HAD to drive.

4. I am an extremely curious individual.  Once my interest is piqued, there's NO stopping me until it's satisfied.  It's like an addiction that won't be denied.

5. I haven't done it for awhile now (translation: you are all safe) but I like to Google people and see what I can find.  You might be surprised how much information is out there for free. I would go crazy if I had access to one of those subscription databases.  I think this is an extension of #4.

6.  I can get sucked into a tv show in 2 seconds.  An intriguing image, a snippet of a conversation and I'm left wanting more.  More often than not, the show is not worthy of my time, but it will take 10 mins or more before I'm ready to give it up.  This is really dangerous when I'm trying to write.  (time waster!)

7. I have a huge sweet tooth.  I just ate a tablespoon of canned frosting.  (I know, I KNOW!)

I was tagged by Jen at unedited with the penmanship game, which I TOTALLY love!

I would tell you to befriend the bloggers up above, but you already have because I see your comments right next to mine, so GOOD JOB!  

I'm supposed to pass these on, but (sigh) I'm feeling lazy after inserting all those pictures and links up there.  If you want an award above to complete your collection by all means take it.  If you don't feel right about it, then email me and I'll edit this post *just for you* to officially pass the award torch on.

I seriously like this handwriting thing so much, I propose we make it into a game (and you know how much I like games!)  I  suggest you write something, scan it into the computer, and email it to me.  When I get enough entries, I will post the four or five samples of handwriting along with the participant names and we'll see who can match them up properly.  It'll be fun!  So, if you want to participate email a sample of your handwriting to missvspeaks(at)gmail(dot)com.  Make it a paragraph out of your WIP or maybe the last book you read. 

16 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

Wow, you've been accumulating awards. Congratulations!

I doodle flowers too. I've had the teeth dreams as well, and have heard it's about anxiety/change.

I'm glad you stopped licking batteries.

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Aw, congrats on all the awards! That's great. How long HAVE you been sitting on them? :) You totally deserve them all, congratulations! And I like your idea about the penmanship thing - I was tagged to put one of those online as well, so if I get to it anytime soon (I'm a horrid procrastinator) I'll send you one too. :D That's a nifty contestything idea.

Jen said...

Wow you're one bloggin' woman! Congratulations on all the bling, it looks fabulous over here!!!

I love your handwriting, the g's and y's are my favorite!!!

JustineDell said...

Oh! Oh! A handwriting game! You're sooooo awesome!!!

~JD

Mason Canyon said...

Congratulations on all the awards and thanks for the great new links to check out.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Janet Johnson said...

Look at all those awards! Good for you. :) I have the penmanship one slated for tomorrow. I totally agree . . . that's a fun one!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I'm seriously behind on the awards and tagged games. I'm going to have to arrange a week just to catch up.

I didnt' know that about Diet Coke. I looove the stuff. I won't even touch Pepsi. It's either Diet Coke or nothing. (or H2O which is better for me anyhow).

I'm with you on the creepy face in the window fear. ;)

Loved your answers. :D

Creepy Query Girl said...

I'm going to have to get to my award post at some time too. They're starting to go mouldy, i've held onto them so long! It's so funny that you imagein creepy stuff when you're alone. I do the same thing. When I used to drive home at night, I'd swear there was the ghost of an old creepy woman in the back seat and I'd see her reflection in the review mirror....

Dawn said...

Congrats on all of your awards. I know I need to do that at some point... Sigh. I'm definitely on team Diet Coke - sometimes I think it's my REAL muse :-)

Jaydee Morgan said...

Congrats on all your awards :) And seriously, I think we doodle the same flowers!

Renae said...

Congrats on the awards. I can relate to the creepy face. I grew up in the country and we had these huge windows in the living room with of course no blinds. Totally creepy!

Matthew Rush said...

Congrats to all awards winners! And great questions and answers.

Talli Roland said...

Congrats on all the awards! You deserve them! :)

I love that handwriting one. It's so cool to see what people's script looks like. Mine is terrible - I can carely read it myself!

Lenny said...

hi miss vicki! im real happy for all those awards you got. its fun learning stuff about you. i didnt like how you get a falling out tooth dream and get scared of there maybe being a face in the window. yikes! ...hugs from lenny

Wendy Ramer said...

Your handwriting is exactly what I expected. I know this sounds crazy, but it's like talking to someone on the phone and then meeting them face to face and finding they look exactly like they sound. Well, I already know your face, and the handwriting matches perfectly!

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Congrats on all the awesome awards. I've been hoarding too.
I didn't know that about Diet Coke having more bubbles.
I like your handwriting, and the artistic doodles. Doodles are fun. :)