Join the Madness

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Time to Re-Evaluate Your Time

I've been reading on A LOT of blogs lately how hard it is to juggle work and family obligations with blogging and actually writing.  A lot of us are feeling the strain of trying to do too much with too little.

Rather than write a whole post today, I'm just going to point you to this awesome post of Chip MacGregor's.  He makes some valid points...and he says it all better than I can! 

While a lot of us don't have book deals let alone sales figures yet, I think his post cautions us to spend our time where it counts.  Yes, I LOVE blogging and connecting with all of you.  But is it really doing me as much good as, say, unplugging and actually working on my book?  Probably not.  

I'm not recommending you DO anything other than take a look at how you're spending your time and decide what's really important to you right now.  Make all scheduling decisions accordingly.  
DO go read Chip's post.  Good food for thought there.

By the way, I have possibly one of the most humiliating experiences ever slated for Mock Me Monday tomorrow.  I say that, but I am always (unwillingly) striving to shatter previous records for this sort of thing, so it's probably just a matter of time before I surpass it.

8 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Don't know how people find the time for blogging :0) Whenever I've doing this I feel guilty that I should be editing!Eeeek!

Amy Jo Lavin said...

I agree that blogging sucks away time, but as an a newbie writer, I've enjoyed becoming involved in the wonderful writing community online. It's taught me more than I would've learned if I stayed unplugged in my obscure little corner of the world. I think the key is balance: making sure that blogging (and other social networking) doesn't replace actual writing time.

Sandy Shin said...

Thank you for the link!

I'm definitely feeling the strain (it takes me hours to read through everybody's blogs each day -- times two if it's Monday); and it's true that each of us need to evaluate how we spend our time.

Saumya said...

Yeah, this is so true. We definitely have to learn to put our energy and time where it is truly worth it. I put an end time on my blogging and force myself to close the internet when it hits.

Bridge Marie said...

Great link, thanks! I'm new to blogging and it pains me sometimes to think about how much time I'm devoting to try to connect with people, but I think the support won here pays off, as long as you don't go overboard.

Sydnee said...

Ouch, wake up call. It's a good thing I read Chip's post now because I've been under the impression that every agent and publisher is looking for authors with a thousand friends on Twitter because it's supposedly such a good marketing opportunity. That's why I started a writing blog in the first place. Guess not, huh?

I'll keep blogging because it's fun to meet new people, but it's great that I've been freed from the idea that you can only be a successful author if you have a million fans on your Facebook page.

Dawn said...

Sigh. I JUST had this conversation with a group of writers yesterday. I LOVE my blogging friends and I have learned so much from them, but I know I really need to fous on the WIP (s) if I want to ever finish them.

I admit though, I await Monday's Mock Me post with bated breath...

Claudia said...

Vicki,
Thanks for sharing Literary MacGregor's blog. Yes, he makes a good point indeed. However, I already knew this as my boss had written an article about it, too. It's good to be reminded though as we often forget due to our busy schedules. Cheers!