Join the Madness

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Progress!

I was floundering a bit the other day as I was trying to write, so I decided to take a break to refocus.  I thought it would be fun to make a mock-up of the cover for my WIP.  I know that when it's done I will have precious little to say about the cover, but hey that's a ways down the road.

So, I searched morguefile.com and Google for all sorts of keywords, the last being "woman sleeping" since part of the story centers around dreams.  I sifted through hundreds of photos, none of them feeling just right.  Then I found it. It literally jumped off the page at me.  A painting by Anikeev Sergey.  So I put it on the front of my fake book, added my name below.  All I needed now was a title.  Ha!  My list of potential titles was a mile long.


[CENSORED.  I was going to share my pitiful list of potential titles with you, but then Slushie's going to have The Next Top Title Blogfest so I pulled the list and will reveal it in June with everyone else.]

I wasn't in love with any of my original title options.  They only captured PART of the book, kinda like a gorgeous new pair of shoes that feel good at first but eventually they rub your feet raw. 

The other problem was I didn't have that much space on my fake book cover for a title.  Most of my options would require a smaller font to fit, and I wanted something bold.

What to do?  What to do?

Then it hit me.  Looking at the picture, one word summed it up.

TEMPTED

That IS my book on sooo many levels.  I put it all together and voila!  I had my inspirational cover.  I love love love it.  Looking at the cover makes me WANT to write more.  Makes me want to live up to the hidden promise of this picture.

I found this to be a very worthwhile experiment.  I don't want to tear you away from working on your WIPs, especially since chances are no one is going to use our version of the cover, but I highly recommend creating your fake cover page to help keep you inspired.  I've posted mine in the sidebar so I see it everyday.


22 comments:

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Ooh great cover Vicki. The title really does stand out. I'd pick it off the shelf.
I haven't made a mick cover for mine yet. That sounds like fun.:)

Maribeth said...

Whoa, Vicki!
Great title and outstanding cover. That should help chase any writer's block.
Definitely would pick this up to check out.
Maribeth
Giggles and Guns

Jen said...

Vicki this was a wonderful idea! You have me inspired to test it out and see what I think of mine, play around with it a bit and see what I can come up with! I think you did a great job coming up with the title, and I'm interested to see the others in June for the blogfest! It's going to be awesome, I'm thinking about joining myself. We'll see though!

Matthew Rush said...

This is enticing! Not just because of the sensuality either. I mean I suppose men might mistake it for Erotica but men aren't likely to pick up that kind of book anyway.

I think the photo along with that title make it into an interesting twist.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

So, I take it you're not writing a middle grade novel, huh? :)

The picture at the top of my blog kinda of represents the cover of my wip (Lost in a Heartbeat).

Janet Johnson said...

I'd never thought about trying to do a cover. Thanks for the link to morguefile.com. Maybe when I hit that hump. Just for fun.

Good job on yours.

Jaydee Morgan said...

What a great way to find motivation! Love your cover and title :)

Dawn said...

I'd put a giant picture of this awesome cover in your office and gaze at it whenever you are feeling uninspired. Well done - and what a great way to chase away the writer's block!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Thanks for the link! What a cool activity. :)

Wendy Ramer said...

Brilliant idea. I've been doing this for years. It's a visualization technique...If you build it a cover, it will be published.

Good luck, Vicki (nice to know who you are) ;-)

Creepy Query Girl said...

I think it looks great! I kind of did the same thing with the headings of my book blogs under 'my books' on the main page. It was fun looking for pics that fit just right.

Karen Walker said...

Hi Vicki,
Just wanted to bop over and say Hi - and to thank you for your visits and comments on my blog. It's so nice to "meet" you. I love that you could create a mock-up of your cover. Totally awesome.
Karen

Stephen Tremp said...

Works for me. Good title. Good cover. People will pick it up to at least look at the synopsis. Good lick to you.

Stephen Tremp

Wendy Ramer said...

Hey, sorry for that double post. First one told me it didn't load. Oh well.

Sandy Shin said...

Great cover and title. Lately, I've been falling in love with one-word titles. There's something about them that speaks a lot. :)

Vicki Rocho said...

Thanks for all the positive feedback. If you create a mock cover, I'd love to see it!

Crazy day, and it's not over yet! Love hubby, but when he's on vacation my whole delicately balanced schedule short circuits!

Renae said...

Hi Vicky! New to your blog, I'm actually reading blogs instead of writing like I'm supposed to be doing.(looks as though I'm in good company!)

Love the cover! What a fun idea. I tell you the title for me is the hardest part! Well done!

Julie Musil said...

I like the title and the cover! Now, I want to see it on a shelf some day!

The Alliterative Allomorph said...

I reeeeeeeeeeally like this idea, and you've done a great job! I think I'm gonna do one, I've got the itch now. It's your fault, I'll have you know ;)

Theresa Milstein said...

Cool book cover!

It's funny because I always think about the cover when I'm writing a manuscript. Usually the title pops in my head as soon as the first words do, so that hasn't been a problem. You're right, the publisher will probably go with another cover (but you never know). And I've even heard of editors asking for different titles here and there.

Lloyd said...

I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I invite you to come over to my blog and if you like what you read then follow me to. God bless, Lloyd

Lenny said...

hi miss V! all i could say is WOWEE! :) ...hugs from lenny