Join the Madness

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Power of Visualization


So yesterday I led you through my epiphany of sorts with the creation of my mock book cover.  I love it so much and it really inspires me.  Partly because I love the picture on the front (it is worth much more than a thousand words...I'm hoping for about 90,000) and partly because I love seeing my name on the cover.

I'm a big believer in the power of visualization.  It's been proven as an effective means of motivation time and again. If we can imagine ourselves as successful, we can MAKE ourselves so.  

Here's what I did and I invite you to do, too.

Create a fake book spine (hey, it's easier than a cover).  Now print it out. 

Go to the library or the bookstore and wrap your fake spine around the book  in the spot where YOUR book will be shelved someday.  Snap a picture.  Print the picture out or post it in your sidebar or make it your wallpaper on your computer.  Put it wherever you can SEE it everyday.  

I bet it inspires you, keeps you going when you're feeling like a hack.

Here's mine:


(I had a really pretty spine created, but here was a problem with file incompatibilities and printer availability so I had to go with what I could make work)

What sorts of things do you do to keep yourself motivated? 

16 comments:

Sandy Shin said...

That's a great idea. It would definitely keep me motivated. :)

Reading books I love is a great way to keep me motivated -- that is, when they don't make me depressed, thinking I'll never be able to write that well. :)

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

That is an awesome idea. :)

I read books to keep me motivated. Oh, and read blogs, I find I am inspred and motivated on a daily basis. ;)

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

even if my fingers typed inspired above quicker than I could check that it was spelt right. lol.

Wendy Ramer said...

I tape my mock-up book cover on the wall above my desk. Visualization all the way!

Candyland said...

I love this idea! I always find the spot where my book should be and cry a little on the inside, lol.

Tahereh said...

that is SO awesome. i love that you're finding ways to stay motivated! hehe i really want to try this out..

Talli Roland said...

Oh I love that idea! I like the think up great reviews for my future books. Yes, I'm just that vain.

Dawn said...

Love that idea - extremely motivating! Sometimes when I watch movies, I cast the characters of my book. This translates to some daydreaming about the "what if" potential of my book being made into a movie. And then I realize I have to finish it SOON if I want so-and-so to be in it...and so I write. Or, I just watch more movies with so-and-so.

Kimberly Franklin said...

Fake book covers motivate me more than anything. I love making them!! So much so, I waste too much time making them. Lol. Oops.

Jaydee Morgan said...

Coming from a sports background, I'm a huge believer in visualization. I love this idea and think your book looks awesome on the shelf!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I love this idea!

Athletes do visualizations exercises to help improve their performance. Why should we? Okay, maybe it isn't quite the same thing, but so what. ;)

notesfromnadir said...

If it works, do it. Positive visualization can lead to the real thing! :)

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

What an powerful idea. Now, to see if I can work up the courage to do it. :)

Tina Lynn said...

I made a WIP trailer but that's because I'm a superdork!

Shannon said...

I love this idea! :)

To stay motivated, I just think of how much I'm working just to make ends meet. That does the trick. :)

Stephanie Thornton said...

This is a great idea! Right now I need all the motivation I can get!