Join the Madness

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Nothing


I've got an award or two to share...I'll get to that soon.  I had a bunch of pre-written posts and I've been too lazy to amend them to take care of this little detail.  


So I was perusing the library the other day and every book I wanted was either checked out or not part of the collection.  Can I get a big fat GRRRR?

As a last resort, I surveyed a revolving rack.  The upside to this rack is that it gets more attention than the shelves, the bad news is one can never tell WHAT books might be in the rack instead of in their *rightful* spot on the shelf.

I still didn't find anything on my list. Or, more precisely I found Nothing. 

Nothing by Robin Friedman that is.

I flipped through the pages, not reading just assessing font size and words per page.  It looked like a nice, easy read.

Boy, was it!

Wanna talk about hooks?  How about this one:

Puke.  My life is puke. Literally.

Okay, so it's gross.  But definitely effective.  Just finished reading it last night. I made myself go to the gym at lunch yesterday so I could get a little reading in on the treadmill.

In case you couldn't guess by the opening line, it's about bulimia.  

I'm normally not into those after-school special kind of topics but I really liked the way they'd bounce back and forth between his point of view and his sister's.  

A quick and easy read.  Predictable, but then, I don't know what I would have done differently.

I am reading Wake right now...again, on the treadmill.  So far I like it, but the whole dream hopping element is interesting as I have a bit of that in my WIP.  It's done differently, so we're not in danger of being compared or anything.  I just find it fascinating when I pick up a book at random that has similar elements to my story. 


And, okay, I worry an eensy bit about "it being done before".  But so far I'm doing it in a slightly different way that I hope keeps it original.

What book are you reading now?

19 comments:

Wendy Ramer said...

Reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Not too into yet, but I've been encouraged to "work through" the first chapter so I can get to the good stuff. I dunno. If you have to work through the first chapter, it ain't a good sign in my book.

Matthew Rush said...

These sound like some interesting finds!

I'm currently reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and it keeps getting better (slowly).

Renae said...

Sounds like you found some good reads.
I am just finishing up Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead and it is Fantastic!

JustineDell said...

I love the library! It's one of my favorite places! Of course, I get frusterated when I can't find something I'm looking for, but I guess that's what happens when your too tight to go buy them. LoL ;-)

~JD

Maribeth said...

On Writing by Stephen King
Original Sin by Allison Brennan -- Just started and my daughter swiped it. There are days I wish I'd never taught them to read! Kidding, only kidding!
Whispers by Karen Walker.
Finished yesterday The Bishop in the Old Neighborhood by Andrew M. Greeley
And I always work in a little Sherlock Holmes or Agatha Christie
Library budget cuts are killing my reading list not to mention my budget. Dozens of copies of th new run-of-the-mills but not so willing to take a chance on new authors (or what they consider new).
Maribeth
Giggles and Guns

laughingwolf said...

non-fiction: Body of Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency, by James Bamford... talk about an eye-opener, and source of story ideas!

Robin Friedman's JerseyFresh Tude said...

Vicki,

I'm thrilled that you found and enjoyed NOTHING, as well as WAKE, since Lisa and I happen to share an agent!

Best of luck with your writing.

Regards,
Robin

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Ooh I want to read Wake. At the minute I'm reading Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead.

Jen said...

Wake sounds very interesting and I would be interested in learning these dream like qualities!

I'm currently reading Eat, Pray, Love... okay so that's a lie, I'm picking it up this weekend to read! I also want to pick up If I Stay!

Megalicious said...

Unfortunately I've been so wrapped up in my WIP lately that I haven't read in a while. The last book I read was the latest Jodi Picoult which was great. On my TBR shelf I have "Lover Mine" and the latest Sookie (True Blood) book. Hopefully I get to those soon! :)

Culture Served Raw said...

Peter Goldsworthy's "Honk if you're Jesus" Good Aussie literature :)

Hahah thanks for commenting on the latest post.. I was lazy to write a lengthy article so decided to gain traffic with a picture of Johnny Depp. ;)

Theresa Milstein said...

I wouldn't worry. Just about everything has been done before. As long as you have a unique twist and the topic isn't everywhere, there will be room for your book.

Stephen Tremp said...

I was at the library last week looking for a Dean Koontz book. Out of the corner of my left eye I spotted a book from Alafair Burke called Angel Tip. I had recenty hooked up with Alafair on Facebook. So I walked out with her book and am half way through. Very good read. Glad I picked it up. I'll actually be doing a review on it next week or so.

Stephen Tremp

Lenny said...

right now im reading my dog skip. its by willie morris. so far i like it a lot.

Sandy Shin said...

That has definitely happened to me before: all the books I'm interested in are checked out at the library. :<

I'm definitely interested in reading WAKE. :)

Mary McDonald said...

I'm reading a book I bought through Kindle from a self pubbed author. It's pretty good. In a week or so, I'll post a review. I had a field trip today with my daughter's school, and needed a book I could take on the bus (I use the Kindle app on my netbook, and no way was I taking that on a bus with 40 4th graders!). I had IRONMAN on the bookshelf. I bought it at a garage sale. So far, I'm loving it. I've never seen the movies so I have very little idea of the outcome.

Heidi Willis said...

I have the same problem finding books on my list at the library, but I usually have no problem walking out with a few I didn't know I wanted! I love that you picked one at random and liked it.

I just finished Souvenir by Therese Fowler, and I really liked it. It was recommended by a friend but I knew nothing about it. I think I like books better if I have no expectations. I would have written the plot differently if it were mine, but I'm working on letting go of criticizing and just enjoying.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I'm reading the non-fiction pop-psych book, SURVIVAL OF THE PRETTIEST. And towards the end of the lastest Dresden Files book, CHANGES. Roland

Zoe C. Courtman said...

I love posts about what everyone's reading! How fun. On my TBR pile this week is LOOKING FOR ALASKA, THE LOST CITY OF Z, and THE IMAGO SEQUENCE (short stories). Just finished up the HOUSE OF LEAVES. THAT one was a doozy. Great post!!