Join the Madness

Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday Fun

If you're reading this during daylight hours, chances are I'm off whooping it up with my 14 year old. This is her tenth annual Hookie Day!  Turns out I could really use a Hookie Day myself, so I'm thrilled this tradition has allowed me to take a day off from battles with giant mutual fund companies.

I can't go into details, obviously.  You wouldn't want your advisor (or agent) posting your confidential information on the internet.  Let me just say there is one company in particular that has become the bane of my existence recently.  There's always one at the top of my toilet list for making life exceedingly difficult.  The only reason we've been using this company is because their funds have been performing really well.

But their customer service stinks.

They have lost applications.  No, they can't blame it on the Post Office because there were several in the envelope, they set up some accounts and lost the others that were in the same envelope.  How do you do that exactly?

They have told us to do ABC only to reject it when we do, citing we needed to do XYZ instead.  

We have called to ask them how the would like us to do something, which forms to use, etc....and they didn't know!

They have told us they never received checks -- no trace whatsoever in the system -- then we receive the check back from them with a cover letter.  They are required by LAW to scan these things into their system, so why didn't they have any record of it?  If they had called us about the supposed problem, we could have fixed everything...now we need new checks, new forms, the works. Grrr.

They ... well, let's just stop this list before I am forced to use language not befitting a lady.

So you're probably wondering am I just venting or do I have a point? 

Yes and yes.

Watch in amazement as I spin this into a writing thing!

Your book is the equivalent of the evil company's mutual fund offerings.  It's great, fantastic...best thing since sliced bread.

But you = your book.  That's right, you are your book.  Or maybe I should say your book is you.  

If you are difficult to work with, your agent and publisher aren't going to go out of their way to help you do anything. If you are disdainful of your readers (late to readings, grumpy to fans, diva-like attitude), how long will they support you? 

So whatever you do, don't forget your customer service! 

Getting off my high-horse now and heading out the door for some FUN!

**************************************************
 EDITED TO ADD:
If you haven't been there yet, you should totally check out Tahereh's contest.  Her blog is fresh and fun and this contest shouldn't be missed. 

15 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Happy Friday! Have a great weekend! Hugs..

Zoe C. Courtman said...

Oh, man. Poor customer service has GOT to be my biggest peeve. *grumbles* But thankfully there are things like Hookie Day! Enjoy!

Jen said...

Miss V. wonderfully said! Customer service really has gone down the drain recently and you are right, as a writer you need to make sure that your fans or lovers of reading are still being cared for even if you are the most famous person on the planet. The more rude and difficult you are to work with the less people you have at readings and the less a company will want to work with you!

Theresa Milstein said...

Have a fun hookie day!

I don't like poor customer service either. Every time I've worked in customer service, I went out of my way to be nice.

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

I used to work in customer service, so I really notice now if someone is nasy, or service is bad. I always tried to be nice.

Have fun playing hookie. :)

Creepy Query Girl said...

I agree- common courtesy and generosity, especially towards supporters or 'clients' is vital! You lucky duck- I want a hookie day!

Elana Johnson said...

Have a fabu hooky day! :)

Matthew Rush said...

Wow, your job sounds like it sucks as much as mine. Yay for solidarity.

Dawn said...

I. Hate. Crappy. Customer Service. BIG TIME. However, I LOVE hookie day. I think you've given me a way to bond with my awesome stepdaughter (she's only been in my life a year...) I'm going to suggest a hookie day.
Have a great one!

Lydia Kang said...

Enjoy your Hookie Day! That is a great idea!!!

Carolyn V. said...

I wanna Hookie day! Have a great time! =)

notesfromnadir said...

I really can understand where you're coming from about the big companies that are just loaded down w/ inept customer service. Of course, there are smaller ones like that, too.

But your idea of Hookie Day is fantastic! I can see it being a tradition that will now be shared by others. Is Hookie Day usually on a Monday or Friday?

Kimberly Franklin said...

Have fun playing hookie!! Happy Friday!

MissV said...

Thanks for all the well-wishes. I had a FAB day. Went to Des Moines' East Village (Google it, lots of cool little shops). Had lunch, then saw Date Night & shopped the mall. Ahhhhh....just what I needed.

Shannon said...

Glad that you had a good day today! Sounds like a blast.

As far as the customer service thing goes, I hear ya. I tip really well when I find good service now - so rare. (And I'm not high maintenance.)