Join the Madness

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Contests & More

First and foremost, lemme tell you about a few of the contests I've stumbled across recently.  I'm holding off on contests for awhile, but that doesn't mean I can't help get the word out!  

The Alliterative Allomorph's Blogging Idol Contest
Caledonia's Spring Into Reading Contest
Carol-in-Print's Will Grayson Squared Dance Contest
Misadventures In Candyland Big 100 Contest

(okay, I've edited some of this because I must have been writing in my sleep!)

What would you do if you were told you could never write again? Let's leave talent out of the equation.  I've heard so many people say that they don't know what they would do.

I understand this.

I've been writing so long (and hey, long rambly emails to my best buds totally counts!) it would feel like losing a limb not to be able to write anymore.

But I'd get over it.

Because I'm not just a writer.  I'm more than that.

For awhile I thought maybe I didn't have the same passion everyone else has.

I thought maybe I'm not a real writer.

Then I whacked myself upside the head.

I AM a writer, but that's not all I am.

I am a mother.
I am a wife.
I am a sister/aunt/cousin.
I am a friend.
I am an employee.
I'm also a reader, a consumer, a crafter, a sympathizer, a dreamer, a planner, a snuggler...

Well, you get the idea.

I used to envy those who didn't have all these other facets vying for their attention.

Those stereotypical writers dressed in black turtlenecks, hunched over a typewriter in a small seedy studio apartment somewhere in NYC.  Add in a cloud of cigarette smoke for good measure.

You know, the long-suffering writer who would do anything in support of his/her craft.

I do certainly envy this stereotypical freedom!  Write as much as you want, whenever you want.  No interruptions.  Ahhhhh.  Heaven.

But I wouldn't trade places with them for anything in the world.

No way. No how.

I think a person has to step away from the keyboard at some point and explore their other facets if they are going to write well.

Like it or not, I got facets, that's for sure. And this is a GOOD thing at the end of the day.

But I do need to do more exploring.

I need to push myself out of my comfort zone more often.

Try more new things.

Stop putting things off into the 'someday' pile.


Are you guilty of this too?


I'm going to be stepping out of my comfort zone in the months to come...I'm going to talk to strangers and do things differently and (gasp) I'm even gonna dance. (I might be beyond drunk before I get on the dance floor...but that's not important)

And I invite you to join me.


What aspects of your writing would be improved by getting out of your comfort zone?

What's stopping you from doing it?


EXERCISE:  woops...worked through lunch and hubs was crabby after dinner so I stayed home to guard the kids from his wrath
WATER: 4 glasses (tsk tsk)
BOOK: About a page and a half

13 comments:

Creepy Query Girl said...

Honestly, I think most of us are multifaceted writers. I wish I could be one of those published authors with their own 'workroom' and see writing as a career choice but even then- there's still so much more to me than that. Doesn't mean we're any less passionate about it! Writing is my release, my freedom and my escape. If i can make money off it, all the better! lol.

Talli Roland said...

Everyone works differntly. I've often heard it said that people write better when it's not their primary activity. Personally I need the head-space that not having a 'regulat' job affords me, but I do need to make an effort to go out more. Tomorrow I'm meeting a fairly well-known author and while I'm nervous, I'm forcing myself out the door because I know once I get out there, it will be good.

Zoe C. Courtman said...

Just thinking about how much I've been hiding in my house lately. Thanks for reminding me to get outside! Making plans with some friends right away!!

Elana Johnson said...

I think I would be fine if I didn't write. I'd go back to what I was doing before. Crafting or reading or whatever. And if I could get out of my comfort zone, I'm not sure what would happen. Explosions? LOL!

Shannon said...

This is a great reminder. I get caught up in what I know and what's comfortable and before I know it, half the year is gone. Thanks for this post. I'm adding it to my list (heh...my list...)

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Wow, great reminder that we are more than just writers.
If I couldn't write then I would hope I would do something creative.

Caledonia Lass said...

Sooooo guilty.
I'd be okay if I couldn't write, but I wouldn't be great. I had several months out of the past two years where I literally couldn't write. I had surgery on my left hand, twice and it prevented me from doing lots of what I love. I can no longer make the jewelry I used to make either. But I did get a speak to text software program. Made it sound like I was telling myself a story...
But if all the writing magic left me physically to go land somewhere else... I'd move on, but I would not be happy.

Dawn said...

If I couldn't write, I'd die.
Ok, maybe not *die* but I'd be miserable.
But I'd get over it. Because like most writers, I have a back up plan. Or two.
I completely agree that it's so important to step away from the keyboard and experience life, visit places outside of our comfort zones. I try to do that - and then bring it all back to the keyboard where I can breathe life into my current WIP.

Kimberly Franklin said...

I dream of being a published author one day, but sometimes I'm really glad I'm not. I mean, don't get me wrong, I want it really, really badly. But the deadlines and the pressure of staying published after you've already been published... it's scary. Then again, I'm a huge wimp!! Haha. :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I'm trying to spend more time with my kids because my writing is consuming my time. But. It's. So. Hard. Fortunately I love playing with my kids. :D

MissV said...

Creepy, you nailed it – writing is my release. Most people I know, when something big happens (good or bad) they reach for the phone. I reach for pen and paper or my laptop. I speak better with my fingers than I do my mouth, that's for sure!

Talli, how exciting to be meeting another author! Ironically, the things I'm most nervous or hesitant to do are the things I end up enjoying the most! Enjoy your meeting!

Zoe, me too! Have fun with your friends! Tell them some strange woman in Iowa says hello. Hahaha.
Elana, Loved your post today, by the way. If I stopped writing, I'd become obsessed with something. Jigsaw puzzles maybe? Keeps hands and mind occupied, tee hee.

Shannon, the year is half gone already, isn't it? Ugh...I need to put forth a little more effort on those resolutions!

Lindsay, do you draw or paint? You strike me as the type who has multiple artistic/creative talents. If not, go ahead and lie to me. ;)

Caledonia, egad that sounds painful! We have some software like that at work. Boss has offered it to me since he doesn't use it anymore, but I'm not thrilled with the sound of my voice, that would take some getting used to!

Dawn, we don't want you to be miserable OR die, so I hereby grant you permission to write forevermore. Hahaha, that's the kind of power I wield.

Kimberly, I'm with you. I wonder if I've got what it takes to survive life AFTER publication. The PR, come up with a new book idea, etc. I'm thinking that like most things the anticipation/fear is worse than the real thing.

Stina, that's a worthy cause! Mine only want me when I'm on the computer. If I put the computer away to play, they're nowhere to be found.

Jen said...

I would cry my eyes out if someone told me I could never write again. However I do know that I am much more than that, and when I forget I have my wonderful husband to help pick up the pieces!

MissV said...

Jen, YAY for wonderful husbands! The world could use more of them!