Join the Madness

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Author Sighting - Michael Perry


This past weekend, Michael Perry, author of Population 485, Coop, (among others) and proprieter of www.sneezingcow.com stopped off in Iowa for a talk / signing.  The book is about his life as a volunteer firefighter/first responder in a small Wisconsin town.

To be honest, I didn't finish the book.  Ran out of time, it was overdue at the library.

(I'll have you know I am single-handedly trying to fund the library with my fines.  But I digress.)

I didn't finish the book, so I can't really offer a REAL review.  Many of his anecdotes in the book were amusing, but there seemed to be a great deal of filler (a lot about how the town established the fire department, how the town got it's name, etc.)  Some of the transitions between stories (duh, where else would you find a transition?) felt rather contrived.

ANYHOW, I announced to the fam I was going and my oldest daughter wanted to go too.  I warned her it may not be as fun as Kathryn Stockett, but she wanted to come anyway.   I'm wondering if she's secretly interested in this authoring stuff?  It's good for her to experience.

The place was packed (always a good sign).  He was hysterical.  I felt like I was at a comedy show, not an author's signing.  If he comes anywhere near you, I highly recommend you go see him.  [Edited to add the link to upcoming events:  click here] You can decide whether or not to read his books.

Here is a picture of him signing my book...  

(My daughter took this with my phone, and was being artsy with the angle.)

14 comments:

Jen said...

What a fabulous artsy photo! I'll check to see if he's coming to Houston, the book looks interesting, I'll have to check my local library to see if there is a copy! Glad you enjoyed the little get together!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Sometimes I think I'm trying to fund my library, too. :D

Well, I'm off to see if I can renew the DVD that's due today. I can't to the library until Friday. Hopefully it's not still on hold. ;)

Lola Sharp said...

Count me in with funding the library!! I'm the late fee queen.

Glad you and your daughter had fun at the signing. :)

Love,
Lola

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Glad you had a good time. I like it when authors aren't what you expect. :)
Plus, the arty photo is cool.

Carolyn V. said...

Wow, what a great suggestion! I'll have to check him out if he's ever in town.

Saumya said...

Yayy!! Sounds like you had a great time :)

notesfromnadir said...

That's great that the place was packed & you had fun. I like the picture angle, too! :)

Kimberly Franklin said...

I need to start utilizing the library. It is right down the street after all. :)

Lisa and Laura said...

Sounds great--I'll check out the list and see if he's coming near us. Thanks for the review!

Lydia Kang said...

Glad it went well and he was better in real life than expected! I still haven't been to a book signing, isn't that nuts?

Janet Johnson said...

Sounds like a fun outing. I've never really gone to author signings (silly, I know), but it's a great idea to take the kids (as soon as they get a little older)!

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

You and me, with the library fines! I think I must be their biggest contributor! :)

Dawn said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one contributing the the public library system :-)

Julie Musil said...

He's funny AND a volunteer firefighter? What a guy! Thanks for the book info.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love the voice recorder idea! By the way, I wonder if we all hate the sound of our own voice.