Join the Madness

Friday, April 23, 2010

Seventeen and Counting

My husband mooned my mother on our wedding day.


Did I hook you?

It's the truth!  I wouldn't lie to you.

Actually, he mooned us all...it just sounds better when you single out my mom.

Don't worry, it wasn't actually during the ceremony.

It was a very small wedding.  Our reception was in the rec room at our apartment complex.

My mom made my dress.  See?



It was about lunch time (wedding at 7), we were setting up for the reception.  Both our moms were there, and our sisters.  We were having a good time.

I was playing with the video camera we had rented for the weekend.

Soon-to-be hubs was setting up the stereo.

His sister (God, I love her!) saw I had the camera pointed in his direction, so she said, "Quit filming his butt!"

(we got together because of his rear, but that's another story)

You don't know my husband, obviously.

But that's just the sort of comment he can't leave alone.

He dropped his drawers and gave us all a proud fanny wiggle.

AND I got it all on film.

We laughed and laughed and laughed.

ESPECIALLY my mom.  (Oh, I miss her!)

HIS mom was mortified.  (I miss her too)

That was seventeen years ago TODAY.

I don't know where the time went.

One day I'm a young whipper snapper, next day I'm pushing middle age with a houseful of offspring & attitude.

Soooo, I guess my point is that time is going to pass no matter what. 

Don't put off your dreams thinking you have plenty of time.

You do, but not an infinite amount.

Do something every day that makes you happy.

Keep writing.  One sentence at a time.  Maybe you'll get published.  Maybe not.

Maybe your children will find your writings after your gone and it will bring you back to them, just a little.  Which is kinda better than publishing, isn't it?

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!!

EXERCISE: March of Dimes Walk on Sunday--week's worth of exercise in one day.  Not ideal, but it works.
WATER: 5 glasses
BOOK: 39,250 words.

9 comments:

JustineDell said...

Happy Anniversary! Did I spell that right? I've never been a great speller. That was probably TMI. Sorry.

That's a wonderful story, and great words of wisdom!

~JD

Creepy Query Girl said...

Awe, what a great post! Thanks for sharing. I loved when you said his mom was mortified. too funny. Happy Anniversary and I'll try and take your advice.

Wendy Ramer said...

Hi there. I found you on Roxy's blog and tried to resond to your Depeche Mode comment there. Then I decided to come here directly.

I wanted you to know that I DO remember "Something" and actually had the lyrics written on stationery and taped inside my personal journal. That's how much I loved that song.

Also, love this quote from above: Maybe your children will find your writings after your gone and it will bring you back to them, just a little. Which is kinda better than publishing, isn't it?

I kinda think I get you...and maybe you get me.

MissV said...

Justine, Thanks! (And yup, you spelled it right!)

Creepy, I wish I could post the video clip, but even if I could get the clip off the VHS, I was laughing so hard no one would be able to see WHY. I have no career as a cameraperson!

Wendy, OMG! I can't tell you how many times I copied the lyrics down. I had them on my wall, in my locker, in my notebooks. That's it! I'm gonna have to post them for the world to see (maybe tomorrow)...we can have a favorite lyrics contest or something. hahaha. Thanks for swinging by...

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Happy anniversary. And I promise to do something every day to make me happy. Now I'm off to eat chocolate, that counts right? :)

MissV said...

Lindsay, chocolate DEFINITELY counts! Think I might indulge myself. One of our vendors sent me a box of chocolates for admin day. An obvious ploy to suck up -- but it worked!

Slushpile Slut said...

Miss V...Congrats on 17 years of marriage! Loved the part about children finding a parent's written words...I agree...Way better than being published!
Have a great w-end!

Shannon said...

Happy Anniversary and good advice. I used the same mantra when going after my degree...the time is going to pass whether I do it or not, might as well make the most of it.

MissV said...

SS - I've got my mom and grandma's hand-written recipes and it makes me smile every time I use them.

Shannon - I've taken the last semester off so I could write, but I've been going after my degree too...usually two classes per semester. Will probably be 67 when I graduate, but I'll get there! What are you studying?