Join the Madness

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Playin' Hookie

First and foremost, lemme pass a huge thank you to CreepyQueryGirl and Roxy for the much-coveted
Awesomesauce Award!  Bestow your eyes on this baby....



gorgeous isn't it?

I'm going to pass this baby on...but I'm going to take a day or two to mull it over.

(and keep you on the edge of your seats, I'm mean like that.  Just ask my kids).

I know the rest of you are already following them, right?  Regular blog visitors? If not, you're going to remedy that, right?  Good.  You'll thank me.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I'm gonna whine for a few.  Well, sorta.  You see, it's time to schedule the kids' annual hookie day.  And I'm outta ideas.

It started when I was pregnant with #2 (9 years ago now, wow).  I took my daughter out of school for the day and we went to see a movie, had lunch, went shopping, etc.  We had such a good time, it's become an annual Spring tradition.

Last year we went bowling, had lunch, went horseback riding, then went to Coldstone Creamery for some ice cream.  Doesn't sound like much, but it kept us busy all day.

This year I'm going to do one day for my son and daughter who are only 2 years apart and a separate day for the oldest.  She's a bit of a nag with her sister and gets on my nerves.  "Don't touch that, get back in line, not so loud" She sounds like a little mother.

But what to do?  Thinking about taking the little ones to a play place.  Indoor mini golf, bumper cars, and a gazillion arcade games...or maybe we'll drive to the zoo instead.  I dunno.  Over the years we've done just about everything!

I need some inspiration...what would you do? We're talking entertaining an 8 & 6 year old and then a 14 year old.

PROGRESS REPORT:
Exercise: (insert one sad face).
Water: Six glasses....barely.
Book:  Went to the library to hide after dinner, got about 1,200 brand-spankin' new words in.  I'm at 38,800.  But then I remembered I have the ending drafted in another document so I'm really probably getting close to 50k! 

Saved my favorite bag for last...I might actually have to buy this one if she hasn't sold it to someone else.  I just A-DORE it.

10 comments:

Matthew Rush said...

Annual Hookie Day. What a great idea!

Shannon said...

Do you have any Pottery Painting places around? Those are a lot of fun and a great creative outlet. Also, you can't go wrong with decorating sugar cookies!

MissV said...

Matthew - Institute it with your kids, they'll love you for it! I do it on the condition that they work hard all year (heh heh heh evil parent in me)

Shannon - OMG, we DO! And I always forget about it. Excellent idea! Love the cookie decorating idea--we used to have an annual cookie decorating party for the girls' friends. Lots of work but so much fun!

JustineDell said...

Do you have any animal rescue type places nearby? Here, there's a Feline Rescue place and you can go and learn about (and see UP CLOSE...not like at the zoo) lions and tigers. It would be fun and it's a learning experience too. Check and see if you have anything like that around your area.

Or, I've also been fond of the zoo. Oh! Or, canoeing on the lake (if you have one...ours rents the canoes and everything).

Good luck picking something!

~JD

Creepy Query Girl said...

I've been wanting to take my girls to the museum of natural history lately. My oldest daughter is terrified of animals but since the ones at the museum are dead and stuffed, she might be able to handle it....

Saumya said...

You're adorable!! An 8 & 6 year old might love ice cream and a movie; maybe the 14 year old would love a mommy daughter mani/pedi? That's so nice of you to do that!!

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

I'd go with the zoo as well. Or ask the kids, put the ideas into a bag, draw one out and then do that. Whatever you decide to do have fun. And include chocolate :)

Lydia Kang said...

I love the zoo. It's a whole day outing if need be!

Elana Johnson said...

This sounds like so much fun. I don't think there's anything better than movies (someone else cleans up after) and lunch (someone else cooks and then cleans up after). Bliss.

MissV said...

Justine, I don't think we have any large rescue places, just the household pet variety. I'll have to call my girlfriend, she's a Rescuer, she'll know.

Creepy-I haven't been to a museum in a long time...there's one in town that's supposed to have a computer program where you ride a bike through computer-generated downtown 100 years ago. They might like that.

Saumya (thank you, they can be pretty cute sometimes), The mani-pedi is a pretty good idea...I definitely am in need of one before sandal season gets any closer!

Lindsay & Lydia - I do like the zoo idea...it's just kinda small (ever heard about the famous Iowa zoo? hahahaha) But I could maybe add the Science Station or something if we're gonna drive all the way to Des Moines. Hmmmm.

Elana - Anytime someone else does the work, I'm a happy camper! Are there any good kid movies coming out?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've set the dates for May 14th (big kid) and May 28th (little kids). My boss is traveling a lot in the next few weeks. It was challenging finding a time when he'd be in the office. He'd have to close the office if I were taking the day off since it's just the two of us.