Join the Madness

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Oh! The Horror!

Unbeknownst to me, Administrative Professionals Day was yesterday. 

(Some admin I make, not having that anywhere on my radar!)

So HAPPY AP day to all my fellow admins out there!  You know they couldn't function without you!!!  I hope your bosses are extra nice to you and let you know how appreciated you are because you deserve it.

Anyhow, my boss had it on his radar and he gave me a card with a really nice note inside:

"Thank you for believing in what we do for people everyday and doing it in a caring, friendly way.  you are a real asset and professional."

Awwwww.  Isn't that sweet?  We also went to lunch.

So, I was thinking...

(to which you groan and think, 'oh no, here she goes again')

My current boss is wonderful.  That's not to say he's not without his quirks, but for the last 2 years they've been entirely LIVEABLE quirks.  Some other employers over the years...not so much.

Someday I hope to be able to stay home and write.  I know that's not realistic for most authors, but I really wouldn't need to earn THAT much (unless of course my hubs is planning on retiring early), so I think it's attainable here, if I can get a foot in the door.

ANYWAY...

I thought it would be fun to share boss horror stories.  And if you don't have one, make one up!  Entertain us...In retrospect, mine don't seem so horrible, but here we go:

One boss (an attorney no less) used to call in to the office pretending to be various people - some with unpronounceable names, some really rude or asking impossible questions - just to see if he could trip me up.  The same boss used to also come into the office wearing a red clown nose...

Another boss, was attending a trade show but couldn't afford to have the brochures made up professionally.  It was a really simple design, so I recreated it so all she had to do was have them printed (back before we had color printers in the office).  Over a thousand copies.  But she didn't have them collated, so yours truly spent hours upon hours collating these suckers and stapling them together.  Finally, I finished them and left them in her office.  When I came into work the next day, there was a three-inch pile of them on my desk.  She didn't like where the staples were.

This same boss was also incapable of turning her computer on.  When I left (to have my daughter), she called me at home so often (can you say stalker?) I finally had to change my phone number and fake a move out of state to get her to stop.  I'm serious, she had NO clue who owed her money and who had paid, and wanted ME to straighten it all out even though I didn't work for her anymore.

The last crazy boss I had I'm grateful for because it's how I met my current boss.  This guy told me one day that I was the best assistant he ever had.  And this isn't the kind of guy to give compliments.  The next day, he loaded spyware on my machine while I was at lunch and then pretended like it was MY fault when I complained about how slow the computer was running.  When I found out what he had done, I gave him my notice.

There's one other I could mention, but I don't want to burn a bridge.  I left on good terms and I'd like to keep it that way.  Chances are no one from that company would ever find this blog, but I'm not taking any chances.  So what about you?  What nonsense have you had to put up with from your managers?

EXERCISE--would you believe I'm pacing myself?  March of Dimes walk on Sunday--8.5 miles.  I think that's my exercise for the week!
WATER--5 glasses (and a whole lotta Diet Coke!)
BOOK--About 500 words added...sigh.

It's not a purse, but I just got this from my sister and I thought it was soooo  adorable, I had to share!

10 comments:

Matthew Rush said...

At my current company I was "promoted" to the supervisor of my department last year. I did not apply for the job. I was told I had to take it.

At first I was okay with it. I was promised a raise. It just had to be approved. Then we lost the contract that was the reason the division existed and I ended up doing my old job, my new job, and my bosses job - all for only the old job's pay. I never got the raise.

I got pissed and demanded a meeting with the VP of operations. The COO of our company basically. He was actually really cool and explained what had happened and how we had gotten screwed by the company we had the contract with.

I never got the raise I deserved but I did get a small bonus and he found me a job in another department. This new department sucks, but I am really glad to have a job at all still.

Not really a horror story I guess but I still hate corporate life.

Thanks for sharing though MissV!

Today's guest blogger is Michelle McLean!

Steena Holmes said...

Happy Admin Day yesterday ;) My boss bought me a box of chocolates - but I'm on a chocolate fast so I'll have to enjoy them later. LOL

Horror Stories ... OMG ... I swear I've worked with the worst. How about one boss who called me while he was on vacation and wanted me to do something that was literally someone else's responsibility (another department). I do what any good EA does - I make sure it gets done. I call up that department, tell them what my boss needed and they said it would only take 15 min (if I had done it - it would have taken 2 hrs or more). Fantastic - once it's done I send it over to my boss ... only to get in trouble. HUGE trouble - because I didn't do it personally. OMG.

Stephen Tremp said...

I'm glad your boss took you out for lunch. Cards are nice, but anyone can get you a card. Lunch is special and really says, "I appreciate you and your contributions to making me look good to my boss."

Stephen Tremp

MissV said...

Matthew,
I'd be ticked too! I think the economy will start gaining some steam here soon, maybe you'll be able to put some feelers out and find something else...or better yet you'll sell your book and be an overnight sensation? How's that for positive thinking?

Steena,
Oh, I feel your pain! I wish The One Who Shall Not Be Named was a little further away geographically so I could dish. Do you know that scene in the Devil Wears Prada where she has to get a copy of the unpublished Harry Potter for the boss' twins? Or get the boss a flight out of Florida during a hurricane? I so relate.

Stephen,
Congrats again on your radio interview. Here's hoping for many more to come...how about TV next? So I can point at the screen and tell anyone who'll listen that I "know" you. hahahahaha!

Talli Roland said...

Oh, the stories I could tell. But I won't because you're right - you can never be too careful on the Internet!

Creepy Query Girl said...

When I was in college, I had a boss who was pregnant with crazy hormones. She sent me out on lunch runs for the whole office and then went bizerk because I took too long, and they were all out of taco salad. Whew!

Saumya said...

When I was an intern, I had a boss who changed her Starbucks order every three hours!! She was like A.D.D. with everything venti on the menu.

It's great that you still find time to write often even thought you have a taxing job!!

MissV said...

Talli, you're right the Internet lets everything live on! Plus, it's such a small world these days with my luck I'd find out I was blathering on to my boss' cousin or something. hahahaha

Creepy, that's crazy. But you'll get even...she'll become some psychotic character in your next book! hahahaha. I'm okay with getting yelled at when I screw up, but I never got it when I was doing what I was told!

Saumya, Thank goodness I've never had to do a Starbucks run, I'd screw the order up for sure! Not a coffee drinker here, I'd never get the right thing ordered. haha.

Jen said...

I just stopped by from Lindsay's blog and I must say I'm glad I did! I love your boss horror story!!! I have a few of them myself and they are interesting and make me laugh now that I no longer work there, but before hand it was a nightmare!!!

MissV said...

Jen - Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your story if it's safe to share. Don't want you to burn a bridge or anything!