Join the Madness

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

New Things

It hurts when your parental pearls of wisdom come back to bite you in the booty. chomp!

I cannot tell you how many times I force the kids to take a bite of something they hate eating. It's not like I put a heaping pile on their plates or anything, but I do make them try it. My hope, of course, is that they'll eventually learn to like it.

A couple weeks ago we were having sloppy joes and my eight year old declared she wasn't eating that. She got one anyway, with a stern warning to take a bite. Her bite was miniscule. Seriously, it looked like maybe a bread crumb was missing from the corner. Maybe. Eventually she took a bite and liked it! Ahhhh, parental victories are few and far between.

It seems since I decided to start writing, I've been trying all kinds of new things and it is surprising to find how many things I've been resisting all these years that I like! When did I stop following my own advice about trying new things?

Book Progress:
I got about 3,000 words in last night. I'm pleased with that progress, but more pleased with the happy accident that occurred. I had put a little nugget in Chapter 2 that I was thinking of taking out because it didn't seem to serve any purpose. I was writing who-knows-what-chapter last night and that little tidbit I put in there for no particular reason serves as the perfect clue for what just happened last night. I wish I could take credit for my brilliance and foresight, but it really was just a bit of luck.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I have a two year old at home and can just see these moments coming! He's already begininning to talk back and that just seems wrong.

Just wanted to stop by and welcome you to the blogosphere! You'll find a lot of fellow fun, inspiring writers out here!

Matthew Rush said...

Hello Miss V, I'm not sure how you found my blog but thanks for the follow. I stopped by to return the favor.

MissV said...

Hi, Kristi! Thanks for stopping by. I've been lurking in the shadows for a few weeks, trying to get my bearings, and decided it was time to quit hiding.

Two is such a fun age for kids. They're starting to talk more and you get the first real peeks at their developing personalities.

Matthew,
Do you know, I'm not sure how I found your blog either? I go link surfing periodically--great way to find cool things, but I couldn't retrace my steps for anything. I'm nowhere ready for Query Hell yet, but I am obsessed with reading everything I can about them!You're so brave to let us all tag along on your journey!