Join the Madness

Friday, April 9, 2010

Just Me Blathering On

My job can be very frustrating sometimes. I'm not complaining. Really, I'm not. I have a great boss, the pay is good, I've learned a lot, and my hours are flexible when I need them to be. What's there to complain about? I'd really like it if I had more opportunities to be creative.

I work for a financial advisor, so I deal with a lot of numbers and a LOT of forms. I don't mind filling out forms. I actually enjoy doing it knowing I'm saving our clients the hassle. But you gotta admit, filling out applications doesn't require a whole lot of imagination. I am grateful, in a way, because I think the derth of creativity has pushed me to use writing as an outlet.

What is frustrating, is when you call a company to ask them what their process is for doing XYZ transaction. They tell you to do 1, 2 and 3. But when you do 1, 2, and 3, they reject the transaction and THEN tell you that you were supposed to do 3, 1, 2 or that there is now #4 that needs to be done, but only when the moon is full and the the transaction amount is an even dollar figure.

The other thing that is frustrating is how long it can take to do even the simplest of tasks. Filling out a simple 2 page form can take forever because the information is not located all in one spot. I have to open one record to get this information and then I have to find an old statement to get this other information, and so on.

On the upside, during the financial meltdown over the last year, it was very reassuring speaking with industry professionals that KNEW what was going on with the stock market and the economy and they weren't panicking like the general public was. I'm thinking a similar parallel could be made to publishing. When in doubt, get your information from the professionals that know what the hell they're talking about and not Cousin Guiddo who's fantabulous epic has set a new record for rejections in a single year.

BOOK PROGRESS:
Eh, not so much accomplished last night. Maybe about a thousand words. House was kinda rowdy for most of the night, then I was too tired to do much. On a good night, I get in about 3,000 words. On a bad night, I lose 2,000 words. I gotta quit editing before the darn thing is even finished. Three steps forward, two steps back. (What is a good day's writing to you?)

I fantasize about taking a week's vacation and hiding out somewhere to write. I'm going to my sister's house this weekend, so maybe I'll get a little time in up there?

3 comments:

Matthew Rush said...

Thanks for sharing all this MissV, I have to agree that my job sucks sometimes, but isn't that bad and of course manages to pay the bills, so is sort of necessary.

I would say 1000 words a day is plenty, as long as you do it every day. Do be careful about editing too much before you finish a first draft though.

Shameless promotion:

I have an awesome guest post today on my blog by Cole Gibsen.

This one is pure query/submission gold folks in which she shares the ACTUAL query that landed her an agent and the correspondence that ensued.

Please stop by to read, comment and follow.

Thanks!

MissV said...

Just confirming for any idle-passers by that Matthew's guest post today was awesome. Head on over there!

http://theqqqe.blogspot.com/

I especially liked the communication chain with the agent from partial request through to the end.

Creepy Query Girl said...

I MissV, thanks for your comments! I just wanted to let you know about this website that I've found SO helpful! It's- thewordcloud.org and it's hosted by the Writer's Workshop which is a top editing service in the UK. There's a great group of people on there and I was even able to establish a critics group that has been amazing at helping me learn to identify problems in my writing and in others. PS- I used to be a book keeping assistant for an accounting office and lemme tell you- I got TONS of daydreaming done while at that job.