Join the Madness

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Funny Dream

My writing is often inspired by my dreams. (Go ahead and groan). In fact, the book I'm working on now started in a dream. Sometimes I'm myself, but more often I'm someone else. One time I was a balding, chain-smoking, pot-bellied man walking around a swimming pool in khaki shorts, stained white tank top, and black socks with sandals thinking I was hot stuff. Seriously, I wouldn't make something like that up.

Anyhow, since there's not a lot else going on in my life worth talking about right now, (do you really wanna hear about the IRA applications I filled out at work today or the Roth Recharacterizations? Thought not.)I thought I would share the strange dream I had last night. Don't worry it's mostly PG.

In the dream, I was living in Regency England and had just been hired to work for a company as a secretary/assistant to the owner who had quite the rakish reputation with women. Needless to say, hiring me (the only woman working in the company and one of very few women working in the city period) caused a bit of a stir. All the men assumed the owner and I were having an affair. Which (at the time) wasn't true.

Turns out his reputation as a rake was all a ruse. It was a carefully cultivated persona, and he was a perfect gentleman for the whole first half of the dream. We became good friends working together every day, though I spent a lot of time and energy trying to convince the other men in the company that it was strictly a professional relationship.

There was a beautiful garden around the building that his company was in. I don't remember what he did, exactly. One morning we were walking in the garden, I was in full costume, and lemme tell you there's no way I want to be cinched into dresses like that! I don't know how it happened exactly, but one minute we're walking and talking about some task or other and the next thing I know we're hiding between a row of rosebushes and the building itself and behaving quite wickedly--even by today's standards! (So much for fighting the affair rumors).

I happened to notice an older woman and a man sitting on a park bench. From their expressions, it was obvious they knew something was going on in the bushes and found it quite distasteful. They couldn't really SEE anything, thank goodness, but knew someone was in the bushes and knew it certainly wasn't proper! I looked more closely, and it was my AUNT and my cousin!! I pulled my shawl over my face. No way did I want her to find out what I'd been up to - so disgraceful.

I got out of there without being seen, but somehow I ended up inside a Payless Shoe Store (because we all know how many there were in Regency England). The store was going out of business, but none of the shoes left were in my size (hate when that happens). That's about the time the alarm went off, so I never got to find out what happened next.

Progress Report - Day Two
Exercise: 30 minutes on the elliptical. I was going to follow up with a little weight training because, let's face it, it's been forever, but my daughter just HAD to go to a friend's house so I cut it short and played chauffeur.
Water: (drumroll please) EIGHT full glasses. I'll wait while you applaud.....
Book: 35,600 words. Only a hundred word gain. I was editing again. Decided to move a chunk from one spot to another. Reads much smoother, but didn't advance the plot much from yesterday.

Another purse...I'm jealous of my sister's sewing abilities, can you tell?

1 comment:

JustineDell said...

I'm jealous of your dreams. So many details! I mean, I dream - vividly, but I don't tend to remember all that stuff.

And, I love the purse ;-)

~JD