Join the Madness

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Confidence

First, I managed to upload a picture last night. I took a lot of snapshots, but my eyes were still tired and puffy in most of them. I'm starting to think maybe I ought to give up writing once or twice a week and head to bed at a normal time. So, as a last ditch effort to capture something publishable, I hid my problem area and whaddya know, I'm much happier with the result. hahaha.

Today I'm going to blather on about confidence, or my lack thereof. I think to some degree we all suffer from this. We think privately that what we've written in 'pretty good' but there is still a fair bit of apprehension when we share our work with anyone else. Will they like it? What will they say?

I don't share my writing until I'm satisfied with it. I'm working on it though. I'm missing out on valuable feedback that could save me the hassle of editing simple flaws later. This blog certainly helps as I try not to spend a ton of time writing and rewriting it.

My real confidence downfall, though, shows in little ways. I just assume that I'm the only one that struggles with my writing. For some reason I think everyone else is more talented, more inspired, more with the program than I am. I have an image of you all sitting down to work and voila - instant masterpiece. Me? Not so much.

I see the flaws in my own writing a mile away. They flash off the page like strobe lights in a dance club. But flaws have to be pretty glaring in your work for me to catch them.

My instincts are good, though. I usually agree verbatim with what the Shark says or the Evil Editor. The difference is they can tell you why it doesn't work, I am left with a vague feeling of, "this isn't quite right here". I need to work on my critiquing vocabulary apparently. I found another one recently, but it'll be awhile before I can participate here

If you have a great site you follow, please share in the comments. There's always room for more on my Google Reader!

3 comments:

Matthew Rush said...

Nathan Bransfords blog has a forum that is excellent for feedback. I definitely suggest that you visit MissV:

http://forums.nathanbransford.com/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=4c8354a567534fe8edd919f76805c660

Carole Anne Carr said...

You can still get a copy of Dwight V. Swain's book, The Techniques of a Selling Writer.

Look him up on Google and says yourself years of struggling. He's been the saviour of many a beginning writer, I can't recommend him enough.

He saved my life and I went on to become a creative writing tutor.

Re the eye problem, the computer screen can dry up the eyes. If they are sore, then this may be the cause. There is stuff to use to stop this.

Carole.

MissV said...

Matthew, thanks for the heads-up on the forum. I have his blog on Google Reader, but one of the downsides of keeping up on Reader is missing all the other features on the site. I will have to check that out!

Carole, I will see if I can track down a copy of that book. I can use all the help I can get!